Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-13-2012

76Trombones is on a distinguished road
Walnut and Soda Blasting for Paint Removal?

I'm looking for anyone that's had experience Walnut blasting or Soda Blasting a fibreglass hull to remove paint.

We've just acquired a 33' full-keel sailboat with a heavy build up of bottom paint, and a cracking/peeling topside paint. Ideally, I'd remove it all, get a new two-part PU sprayed for the topsides, then re-apply fresh bottom paint. If we DIY, I'd also be tempted to remove deck fittings and re-paint the house/deck too. A sort of once every 15-years sorta refinishing project.

I just did a 24' keelboat bottom and topside job last year... down to gelcoat, 5 coats of inter-protect 2000e, 3 of primer, then a pro topside 2-part PU job, plus 3 coats of bottom-paint. All prep was done with random orbitals, and while it worked, was pretty easy to control, and obtained a fantastic finish, I will never do it again. Way too much effort! Media-blasting seems far easier, and especially for this 33' which is more of a cruising boat... I can accept a lesser finish....

Any help, comments, photos, stories or shared experiences with media-blasting a fibreglass hull would be very appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-13-2012

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Walnut and Soda Blasting for Paint Removal?

I had an older but newly-bought 28-footer soda-blasted to remove unknown layers of unknown substance to get a surface where I know what is what. Today spent another 2.5 hours with an orbital sander and 80-grit pads getting down to all gelcoat. I probably have another 45 minutes of second-pass touch-up sanding to get to an all-gelcoat surface for new barrier coat and bottom paint coatings.

Soda Blasting was effective, and did no damage. For me, it was worth spending $900 to save 20+/- hours of grueling, awkward sanding work. Younger owners with less disposable income and in better shape may choose otherwise but for me it was $$ well-spent.
Old 07-14-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

Good on bottom paint

Topside prep not so much as your taking off tougher stuff and the a bit to deep is a much bigger issue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-14-2012

76Trombones is on a distinguished road

I'm definitely leaning towards media-blasting, even though I am likely younger and have less disposable income

Tommays - Ya I hear you that walnut blasting is probably fine for the bottom but maybe too harsh on the topsides. Have you done either? Can I switch media to soda and maybe adjust the flow-rate and shoot the topsides (and deck/house)?
Old 07-14-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

The big problem is depends on who is driving as even soda can damage glass

Around here its a full tarp job which limits the visibility of the driver

On a bottom it leaves it READY for the prep work and it can uncover a bunch of fillers and other stuff that were fine and now have to be repaired

The bottom alone for me down here would have been 2K and i felt the 5 days of this sucks was NOT worth 2K of my budget

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.