Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-16-2012

Goldfinger is on a distinguished road
Selden vs Lewmar

Had a quote from my local rigger to supply and install a traveler on my 33footer, mid boom setup.

He is pushing Selden over Lewmar, he claims ease of parts, better (stronger)product and better after-sales attention should anything go awry.

I have Lewmar winches and gib tracks, so want to have continuity of brand names where I can, so additions to the boat don't look like an afterthought, each a different make.

Would be glad to have any opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Selden vs Lewmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Had a quote from my local rigger to supply and install a traveler on my 33footer, mid boom setup.

He is pushing Selden over Lewmar, he claims ease of parts, better (stronger)product and better after-sales attention should anything go awry.

I have Lewmar winches and gib tracks, so want to have continuity of brand names where I can, so additions to the boat don't look like an afterthought, each a different make.

Would be glad to have any opinions on this.

Thanks in advance.
Like you, I prefer Lewmar.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-16-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Lewmar makes some decent products, but their aftermarket stuff is terrible. The rebuild kit for instance to replace the mainsheet block is a little piece of plastic molding. Probably cost $1 to make. But the only way to buy one is to buy a complete traveler rebuild kit that runs about $75.

This is pretty standard on a lot of their parts. They package the cheap easily broken part, with expensive, never break parts into a rebuild kit... But you have to buy the package to fix anything.

I am with your rigger, except I would go with Harken.
Old 07-16-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Lewmar makes some decent products, but their aftermarket stuff is terrible. The rebuild kit for instance to replace the mainsheet block is a little piece of plastic molding. Probably cost $1 to make. But the only way to buy one is to buy a complete traveler rebuild kit that runs about $75.

This is pretty standard on a lot of their parts. They package the cheap easily broken part, with expensive, never break parts into a rebuild kit... But you have to buy the package to fix anything.

I am with your rigger, except I would go with Harken.
Well, if we are switching manufacturers other than listed...

I love Harken. Agree with you. However, for a cruising boat, I would go Garhauser. I have become a fan of their stuff. Race boat... Harken. Garhausers are made too heavy - but that is a good thing for a cruiser. What think you, Stumble?

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 07-16-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

i agree with Cruisingdad. But note is Garhauer. Here's the link.

Garhauer Marine Hardware -4768002

Fellow in our club just installed a traveller from them. They modified one of their stock units so if fit his Oday 322 perfectly.
Old 07-17-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

The Garhauer stuff is really nice. As mentioned it tends to be very heavy, but depending on the part can be relatively cheap. The one thing I would be cautious of with them is that while there parts are often very heavy the breaking loads can actually be lower.

But in my experience Harken and Garhauer have the best customer service. Then the rest.

At least until you get into some of the offshore race boat guys like Karver, that make insanely good gear, but at comes irate prices. These guys tend to also have extraordinarily good customer support as well.
Old 07-17-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Selden makes first quality gear: masts, boom, furlers and most anything else they make. Very expensive for a reason. IMHO, the best.

Lewmar makes very good quality gear; winches, blocks, etc. the best in those product sets, but expensive. The Ocean winches are without compare.

Garhauer blocks are excellent, great value for the price.

So to a degree, it depends on what you are buying. For a traveller I would think Garhauer if they make what you need, or Lewmar if Garhauer not available.
Old 07-17-2012

Goldfinger is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for your input. Unfortunately Garhauer is not so easy to come by here in OZ. But I will ask the rigger about Harken. Done some reseach based on the advice here. Thanks again. GF