Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-19-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Barrier Coating Bottom; How to work around stands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriehl1 View Post
I have a 28-foot, 6800# sloop currently blocked on its lead keel and laterally supported by 2 pair of stands and one v-stand on the bow. These were set by the trucker who delivered the boat to my house for refit.

When I had the bottom soda-blasted, they removed and re-set one pair of stands in a slightly different position to expose where the pads had been originally for blasting. Then they removed and re-set the other pair of stands. Their comment was that basically the blocks are taking all the weight, the stands are just for balance and one pair is actually sufficient. And clearly, the boat did not topple over when one pair was loosened and moved.

Now I am applying barrier coat and bottom paint. When done with all exposed areas, I'll want to also move and re-set the two pair of stands to expose the portions covered by their pads now.

Can anyone provide or direct me to a lucid, trusted description of the techniques for setting sailboat stands and jockeying them to expose covered areas? Or should I really buy or borrow a third pair of stands to always keep 2 pair in tension?

Photo is part-way through a PoliGlow application but also shows stands as they are now.

Thanks Hank
You're going to need to get the rest of that bottom paint off before barrier coating, unless the did blue gel below water? I see white gel....

I move the stands after each coat, all of them but one at a time, and feather the edges for a smooth transition. You'll want at least three stands per side plus bow.. Van you move stands with just five? Sure but if your boat falls over....well.....that's a tough call to the insurer..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 07-19-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

It's vitally (as in your life) important to keep the chain attached at all times.

Move the stands one at a time by:

Loosen the chain a couple of links, make sure to reattach it to the stand.
Unscrew the pad and be sure that the boat is staying upright. Unscrew it just enough to slide the stand over (with the chain attached).
Move the stand 12 inches or so to it's new position.
Re-tighten the pad.
Re-tighten the chain.

Continue these steps one pad at a time.

The chain will keep the stand in place if the boat does shift to one side. Without the chain, the stand can slide or tip.

That is why yards won't allow you to tie anything to the chain (like tarps). If the chain goes, so can the boat.

The weight is on the keel. If the stands/pads are starting to make an indent into the hull they are probably too tight or need to be under an interior bulkhead.

That's my story and I'm sticking too it!
Old 07-19-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That said, there are enough negative opinions expressed here to give me pause. I would have expected this to be discussed in Chapman's, Casey or Calder but not that I've seen.
If there where instructions in a book, it would probably go like this:

"1. Hire yard to do the work"
"2. See step one."

I am as frugal DIY'er as they come. However, I would just have the yard move the stands. There are just some things about boat work that scare the cr@p out of me, and moving stands is one.
Old 07-19-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

While every boat that gets moved around here on a split trailer spends some time on three stands

Its not something you would do on a windy day OR put yourself even remotely in the possible fall area let along do any work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-19-2012

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
You're going to need to get the rest of that bottom paint off before barrier coating, unless the did blue gel below water? I see white gel....

I move the stands after each coat, all of them but one at a time, and feather the edges for a smooth transition. You'll want at least three stands per side plus bow.. Can you move stands with just five? Sure but if your boat falls over....well.....that's a tough call to the insurer..
That was an old photo (of a PoliGlow job) before hours spent sanding below the waterline down to all gelcoat. The bottom was well-prepped and I've applied 2 coats of barrier coat thus far.

My plan was to do the entire job, 4 coats of PettitProtect barrier coat and 2 coats of Pettit Hydrocoat bottom paint, without moving the stands at all. Then move the stands to expose the 4 untreated "squares" that would then receive the full sand, barrier-coat and bottom coat treatment... feathering in to the surrounding finished areas.

Another asked if I saw the soda blasters reposition the 2 pair of stands to expose all areas. Yes I did. I'm just wary of doing the same unless I hear strong consensus (which I do not) that it is safe for an amateur. They mess with boat stands every day, I do not.

I'll look to rent a couple for my needs.
Old 07-19-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road

I couldn't get a yard to loan or rent me a couple of stands but I was able to talk one into selling me a couple of old stands for 65 bucks each. I think insurance was the issue when trying to borrow or rent...
Old 07-20-2012
Scurvy Dog

Reef33 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
I think insurance was the issue when trying to borrow or rent...
F-ing blood sucking lawyers and sue-happy a-holes in this country ruin it for all of us.....

Scourge of the Upper Chesapeake since 1993.