SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

preperations for offshore sailing

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Jeff_H 
#1 ·
ok, so not REALY offshore, but I needed a description that would fit in the title bar.

I''m finishing off maintenance. New throughhulls, new traveler.

all new running rigging

standing rigging all in good condition and properly tensioned,

engine in tip top shape (all 2 hp of it)

sails in great condition.

getting a new mast (shouldnt cost Too much more than I paid for the boat!)

so, I''m about to go beet up past point Conception for my first real stab at real ocean. What do I need to do to the boat to get it ready?

Thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks. :)

-- James

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, you''re right James - your question isn''t about offshore sailing per se. So your prep should include good ground tackle (e.g. enough chain to keep the rode off the bottom while you & all those fishing boats are waiting for the blow to lighten up, plus a good fairlead or roller on the bow vs. using a chock).

Also, questions about reefing and self-steering (you don''t mention crew) come to mind; both those needs to be bulletproof if you''re alone.

You might also think about *your* prep along with the boat''s prep. The ''ebb and flow'' of the wx patterns as you get above Santa Barbara will determine when you move and how far, so you might ask yourself how you can monitor wx changes further up the coast. And do you have a coast pilot? Given that fog and night approaches into Moro or the harbors furher N might be a possibility, are you equipped with some good approach charts, have uptodate list of nav aids, and so forth? (Having GPS is a wonderful thing, but...)

Good luck and have a great passage.

Jack

#3 ·
Adding to the list,

Make sure your reefing works easily and that you are familiar with how it works by actually using it. I like to mark the main halyard with a stitched on whipping so I can find it in the dark at each reef point so I quickly know how far to ease the halyard for each reef.

Make sure that the boat can be made as watertight as possible. If you get pasted the movement of the boat and the force of wave action will force water into places that do not normally leak. Make sure that hatches are properly gasketed and can be dogged down, including your lazarette and sail lockers. On a small boat like your Lancer it probably makes sense to remove ventilators (except where you have fuel stored)and seal the openings.

Add solid mounting points for a jackline either side of the boat and a low stretch jackline either side plus a solid mounting point at the companionway to clip on before coming on deck. Id you don''t have one get a good harness with two teathers or one of the new delayed inflate harness/lifejackets.

Add hold downs for all locker lids and heavy objects such as tanks, canned goods, the stove and the battery banks.

Repair kits for the essential systems. Think about how you would jury rig a rudder should yours fail.

Make sure that your bow cleat is of adequate size and properly backed up if you needed to take a tow or anchor on a leeshore in heavy conditions. Make sure that you have easy to deploy chafe gear aboard.

Before you leave the dock set aside high energy foods in easy places to reach that are easy to digest and which can be eaten as that are.

Before leaving the dock think through contingency plans if you can''t get to where you originally planned to go. Put the waypoints in your GPS and plot courses on the chart for your primary destination and these back-ups.

Do not set a fixed schedule or feel you have to do something just because you had planned to (except for having a good time). Let the weather and your physical condition dictate your time table. Don''t be afraid to head back it if things are dicier than you would like. You have nothing to prove by being overly heroic.

And Jim thanks for you very kind words on the other thread. I think the quote about the pig was an Abe Lincoln line and it actually went something like "Never try to beat a pig at wrestling because you will only end up rolling in the slop and only the pig enjoys doing that." I am feeling like I have been dragged through the slop on that ******** of a thread. ;^)

Best wishes,
Jeff

#4 ·
I would add to make sure you have safety gear, spare parts for the engine and was as stuff like cotter pins/cotter rings/ shackels/etc, plenty of fuel and water, etc. make sure you pay CLOSE attention to the weather and check it often on the trip. reef early. get local knowledge of the area as well as the tides and currents. have paper charts as well as a gps, radio, depthfinder, etc. good luck.

#5 ·
I think Jack & Jeff have made it plain that North of Point Conception can be a tough passage and their advice is sound to be prepared to NOT be able to get where you intended to go on a schedule. Some people advocate motoring North at night & early morning when the alternative is a day of getting beat up to windward. I believe at one time Moro Bay REQUIRED VHF for any boat leaving the harbor, don''t know if this is still true or even enforceable, but it indicates that enough boats get in trouble that someone thought it important.
2 HP? Is that enough to push your boat okay in a strong current and bad chop & swell?

#6 ·
I''ve made this passage. It can get nasty out there. I would make certain that your fuel tank is clean, but 2hp isn''t going to do anything except move you abit in a quiet harbor. Check out your bilge pump setup and clean the bilge, you have an automatic pump, right? Clean clothing sealed in plastic bags will assure you can have something dry to put on when you get wet and cold, and it gets very cold. You didn''t say how far up you are going, but Port San Louis is a nice stop. San Simeon looks like it could give some shelter but I havn''t tried it.

Gene

#7 ·
2 hp has moved me in 6 foot seas agianst sea and 15+ kt winds before.

I''ve been knocked over and the bilge didnt get wet. (engines an outboard)

I always keep sets of clothing in seperate double ziplocks (done that whole ordeal before ;) )

and I only use my motor as an absolute last resort. havent had to do it in the past year outside of docking excepting twice when I had a newb at the helm and I was below untill it was (almost) too late. So I learned my lesson there.

And I''m hoping to tag San Louis for a day and then run back.

:)

-- James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.