SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   dodger and bimini (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/89852-dodger-bimini.html)

mred 07-18-2012 11:18 AM

dodger and bimini

I was quoted $8K for a Jeanneau 409 dodger and Bimini, anyone else bought one recently?

SVCarolena 07-18-2012 11:32 AM

Re: dodger and bimini

No, but we made a bimini ourselves a few years ago, and are in the process of making a dodger. We purchased from Sailrite the following: LSZ-1 machine, bimini and dodger frame kits, all the material/isenglass for the projects, and the DVDs for each. It is a fair amount of work, but if you have the time, not all that difficult. The other option that would cost less would be to try and find a standard bimini or dodger from a company like Island Nautical and try to make it fit. Island Nautical Canvas

The price you were quoted for a quality custom install on your size boat doesn't seem to be out of line from what I've seen.

deniseO30 07-18-2012 11:33 AM

Who was laughing harder? You or the one quoting the price?

johnnyquest37 07-18-2012 11:43 AM

Ouch.

SoOkay 07-18-2012 12:00 PM

I was quoted a little over 6k for a Jeanneau 43 dodger, bimini and connector (with sides). We opted to have the existing canvas re-stiched for WAY less, and it's working out fine.

Captainmeme 07-18-2012 12:22 PM

Looks like the pirates have expanded from marinas to canvas shops.

DRFerron 07-18-2012 12:28 PM

I've never bought a brand new dodger and bimini so I can't comment on whether that was a good price, but we took our old, used dodger to a local Amish cobbler who re-stiched all of it for $25. It doesn't have real handholds so it was falling apart mostly at the spot where people would grab onto it when boarding the boat. For those of you who want to get another couple of seasons out of one, that's an option.

sea_hunter 07-18-2012 12:59 PM

We were quoted 6500 for new canvas on our bimini and dodger for our CC which about the same area as you describe. We thought it over priced and went with a hardtop option instead for the same price.

deniseO30 07-18-2012 01:03 PM

there are 2 ways to bid.. one is what most people in business do; competitive bidding.

Then there is the other type. "I'll toss em a really high number just in case he does go for it"

tommays 07-18-2012 01:11 PM

Doing the compete job RIGHT on a 40'+ boat involves a huge amount of material in both stainless tubes ,fittings, cloth and windows

And then drilling a whole bunch of holes in a most likely good condition boat correctly