Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-18-2012

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Forming Plexiglas

The hatches on my boat are wood with Plexiglas. What has happened over time is the Plexiglas has pulled the screws loose from the wood frame. I've taken one hatch apart and discovered that the Plexiglas was forced to conform to the curve of the hatch. The hatch is curved but when the plexiglas is laid on the bench, it lays flat, no curve to it. So all this time the screws have had an upward force on them. I've found a manual on line about forming plexiglass. The manual suggest heating the sheet in the oven, pulling it out of the oven then clamping it to the frame, its called drape forming. My question is why not clamp the plexiglass to the form then stick it all in the oven heat it up and let it cool down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2012
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Forming Plexiglas

I think the first way relaxes the "memory" in the Plexi. not really sure though either way seems doable to me. How about a heat gun?

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-18-2012

Heat gun seems spotty to me, wouldn't heat the sheet evenly. The cooling might be uneven which could lead to stress.
Old 07-18-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
The hatches on my boat are wood with Plexiglas. What has happened over time is the Plexiglas has pulled the screws loose from the wood frame. I've taken one hatch apart and discovered that the Plexiglas was forced to conform to the curve of the hatch. The hatch is curved but when the plexiglas is laid on the bench, it lays flat, no curve to it. So all this time the screws have had an upward force on them. I've found a manual on line about forming plexiglass. The manual suggest heating the sheet in the oven, pulling it out of the oven then clamping it to the frame, its called drape forming. My question is why not clamp the plexiglass to the form then stick it all in the oven heat it up and let it cool down?
I did a little research, and the melting point of Plexiglass is 160C. So heating it to 140C or 150C should soften it. Those temps are well below the burning point of wood.

However they are also above the melting point of alkyd resin, the ingredient in varnish. So if your wood is varnished I would expect that to fail before the Plexiglass softens.

So in answer to your question, why not, the answer is "because the varnish might be damaged".
Old 07-19-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

meme, have you asked a plexi shop (where they have the right heating tools and experience using them) if they could just take your hatches, and bend the plexi for you? Since it is just labor time, the job might not hurt too badly.
Old 07-19-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I have heated Plexi in the oven many times for the purpose of forming it. It is not difficult.

I would put the form in with the plexi or make sure you can easily slide the flexible plexi onto your form once removed from the oven. It will be very flexible especially if left in too long. Be careful clamping it as it will be soft enough to indent. Spread the load out to prevent indentations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Tim R.; 07-19-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-19-2012

"meme, have you asked a plexi shop (where they have the right heating tools and experience using them) if they could just take your hatches, and bend the plexi for you? Since it is just labor time, the job might not hurt too badly. "

I should change my online name to Captain-cheap-cheap. That is the first reason I haven't done that, the second reason is I live in the back hills of Tennessee. Plexi shops are far and few between. I think I'll just make a sacrificial mold to experiment with. As a previous poster pointed out the heat would/could affect the varnish, just between you and me, I'm more concerned about the adhesive holding the frame together. I'll post the results.
Old 07-19-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

If you are using plexi of significant thickness, it might get expensive to do much experimenting.

I'm a bit suprised the old plexiglass didn't conform more to the shape it was in for years.
Old 07-19-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
The Plexi will expand as its heated. Clamping it down before heating will likely cause it to shatter as it heats/expands. Note that the Plexi will have to be quite hot to "drape" well and the molding frame fairly sturdy.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-19-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Find a local plastics shop. You might be able to get some scraps to experiment with.

-----------------------------------------------------

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.