Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-02-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: Adding woodwork below

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurEuS View Post
I also have an Edel 665 that needs some TLC. I like what you've done so far! I'm also in Toronto at ABYC I'd like to see more pictures of your boat if you have any
To be clear...the "nice" interior pic is not my boat. It is what I am aiming for.

So far I have just gutted the interior and painted the inside fibreglass. I have removed the ugly fabric material that was glued to the sides and removed the glue and foam residue from same. I have decided (after seeing it on the site) to glue cork on the sides where that fabric had been. if I can find a reasonable source of cork.

It has been so $#@#'g hot this summer that working below has been not fun.

This weekend I will be sanding the topsides and shopping for a new hatch gasket or an alternative to add to the existing one.

I am not far from you...in a storage yard @ Cherry St & Commissioners, across from the Cirque du Soleil tent. The big 100' five legged white crane, visible from the Gardiner is about 50' east of me.
Attached Thumbnails
Adding woodwork below-gh011033.jpg   Adding woodwork below-gh011031.jpg  

Last edited by i_amcdn; 09-02-2012 at 04:52 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

I don't know if you have already done the bulkhead work, but I would likely remove the current half-height one, and use it as a partial template to cut a whole new piece. One piece will be stronger, and look infinitely better than two pieces joined. As for material, I would laminate a heet of lauan (sp?) door skin plywood onto each side of a piece of 3/8" ply. You'd end up with a very strong 5/8"-ish bulkhead, with nice sort of mahogany on each side that will take a finish very nicely. Lauan ply is pretty cheap, select a couple of pieces with nice uniformity and colour.

I am nearby, I wouldn't mind checking your progress.
Old 09-06-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

Gluing strips to the overhead that you then screw the new bulkhead to may be feasible. The physical joint may work as the boat moves, however,and end up being less than satisfactory with pulled screws and little gaps of broken glue lines and/or wood fibers that open and close as you sail along. That is why the fillet approach with fiberglass tabbing is used instead. If you're creating your own "custom" laminate, please don't use crummy luan veneer which will look like crummy luan veneer no matter how many layers of varnish you try to hide it with. Nice mahogany, teak, ash, cherry and other hardwood veneers are available in 4'x8' sheets if you want them. 3/8” ply with decent looking veneers already glued at the factory is also available, though it isn’t cheap. Make a template with cardboard (or luan!) first. You can also simply paint the new bulkhead white – like Concordia and Hereschoff did. It helps to make the space look bigger than dark wood.

Though a single piece bulkhead would perhaps be stronger, strength obviously isn't needed here - the existing bulkhead doesn't go up to the top of the cabin anyway. Since it appears that there's a seat on the aft side, the simplest route might be to rest the bottom edge of your sheet of ply in the corner at the top of the seat where it currently meets the bulkhead, tilt it upright, and scribe it to fit the overhead. (leaving room for the fillet and tabbing) The seat cushion will make it look like the new bulkhead is the only one. On the other side, where the half bulkhead ends and the new one goes up beyond it, you can perhaps use the top of the old bulkhead to help support a shelfput a shelf (or two). For reading, I would suggest the Gougeon Brothers on Yacht Construction. Hope it cools off for you soon.
Old 09-06-2012

AdamHowie is on a distinguished road

Adding a full bulkhead to the cabin of the Edel would really decrease the open feel to the boat. I would not recommend it and it is not something I would do to my own boat. Adding a curtain may be easier and not to mention cheaper
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.