Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-19-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Adding woodwork below

I am working on cleaning up the Edel 665 interior and adding some woodwork. Currently there is only a half wall between the salon and Vberth. My winter projects include extending the wood divider to the cabin roof as in the 3rd pic below. I would also like to duplicate the storage area that has been added on the starboard side in the Vberth.

Questions:
1. How to attach the wood to the roof without putting holes through the fibreglass? I am thinking glue some strips to the roof and then screw the wood panels into those wood strips.

2. Does attaching the wood to the roof cause any harm? I think that it would stiffen the roof but is that bad to not have some flex in the fibreglass?

3. Suggestions on type of wood to use

4. Best reference book for projects like this.

I intend on posting progress and final pics in the simple projects thread.

Cheers.

Last edited by i_amcdn; 07-19-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2012

Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Re: Adding woodwork below

And the pics>>>>
Attached Thumbnails
Adding woodwork below-v-berth-2-medium-.jpg   Adding woodwork below-v-berth-medium-.jpg   Adding woodwork below-woodwork-boat.jpg  
Old 07-20-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

looks a bit like teak in the cabin. the roof or cabin top is most likely cored. this is a layer of fiber on both sides of a core material. by the looks of the electrical wiring clamps being screwed to the under side of the cabin top it is cored. you could add screws to the under side but a more typical way is to glass a stip of wood to the inside of the top and then screw into it. or glass the new bulkhead to the cabin top with a strip of glass about 3" wide on each side of the joint
Old 07-20-2012

What is on the roof is a thin (1/4) sheet of wood that is glued into a recess in the roof. The coax wire you can see is screwed into the fibreglass with small screws.
Old 07-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_amcdn View Post
Questions:
1. How to attach the wood to the roof without putting holes through the fibreglass? I am thinking glue some strips to the roof and then screw the wood panels into those wood strips.
I'd be inclined to use some sort of fabric on the overhead (roof) - those Edels don't have an overabundance of headroom - even an inch can make a difference..

Quote:
2. Does attaching the wood to the roof cause any harm? I think that it would stiffen the roof but is that bad to not have some flex in the fibreglass?
Fiberglass does NOT like to flex - it does it by breaking down a little bit each time it flexes.

Quote:
3. Suggestions on type of wood to use
See #1

Quote:
4. Best reference book for projects like this.
"This Old Boat" by Casey, "The Finely Fitted Yacht" by Mate, "The Hinckley Guide To Yacht Care" by Hinckley.

Have fun & post lots of pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-03-2012

Apologies for the delayed reply. Appreciate all your input.

I am not paneling the ceiling of cabin. .I just want to add a new vertical wooden divider, extending upwards the current "half wall" between the salon and the v-berth. I am leaning towards gluing some 1x1 strips to the ceiling of the cabin and then securing the new vertical piece with screws to those strips. I would also secure it to the mast extension.

The ceiling will remain painted fiberglass. It is not cored.
Old 08-10-2012

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

That wheel has already been invented and we probably won't come up with a better solution here.
Get Casey's book. According to him, as I recall, boatbuilders use a flexible foam spline--a strip maybe 1/2" thick and a little wider than the thickness of the plywood, beveled at the sides--between the edge of the plywood bulkhead from the cabintop. That lessens the problem of creating a hard spot under your deck. They then layer strips of fiberglass to bond the vertical board to the cabintop. Look at the way original bulkheads on your boat are attached.
Alternatively, would simply raising the height of the partition to an inch or so short of the cabintop meet your needs? That would be much easier structurally.
Old 08-11-2012

Valleyj,
I have Caseys book and noted his comments about the foam "shock" absorber spline. I am leaning towards your "inch short of cabin top" alternative, attaching it only to the side and the existing holes in the mast support. Note though that this "room divider" bulkhead would be right at the mast support, an area that I presume is already a hard spot and the stiffest part of the cabin top. If I did attach it to the cabin top this would only enhance the hard spot, no?
Thanks.
Old 08-11-2012

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

I don't know the answer to that. I'm not an expert, but I know some boats have a thwartwise beam under the mast support, and attaching to this would seem to eliminate the concern over making an inflexible hard spot--it's already hard there.
Though you don't know the reverse--how the strains that the mast & rig places on that deck structure may affect the joint you create.
My unscientific sense of it is that whatever you do within reason probably won't have very great structural consequences one way or another.
Old 08-31-2012

CurEuS is on a distinguished road

I also have an Edel 665 that needs some TLC. I like what you've done so far! I'm also in Toronto at ABYC I'd like to see more pictures of your boat if you have any