Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-20-2012

willdadd is on a distinguished road
Our Maple Leaf 42' Project

We recently purchased a maple leaf 42', built in Vancouver by Cooper yachts.

it was purchased quite cheap, as it had been neglected for almost 7 years, the interior is finished in teak, though its in quite rough condition, although my better half has already sanded out and varnished the master cabin, so the galley, v berth and salon shouldn't take more then another couple weeks of free time..

we purchased the boat with the assumption that the engine (a chrysler nissan 6-33) was shot as thats what the fellow selling it had told us, but luckily for us, after tearing down the fuel pump and freeing up the internals, replacing a few glow plugs, return lines etc, flushing the old oil and changing oil and fuel filters.
I'm pretty proud to say shes running like new, no leaks or issues.

I went through the plumbing, and the old copper was in pretty bad shape and some wierd orphan size tubing that nothing would fit, so I re did the plumbing from the pump and water heater, all the way to all three sinks, with pex. I have also replaced all the sink drain lines as they were leaking, and replaced the faucets in the galley.

I replaced the element in the three way water heater (electric, engine and diesel stove coil)

As far as electronics, the house wiring appears to have been redone for the most part in the past 10 years or so, and cabin lights, bilge pumps, voltage meters, inverters etc, as well as the charging system all are functioning well.

Even the batteries 2 sets of 3 x 6 volt deep cycle once topped up with electrolyte and charged are now floating and seem to be in great condition.

Now for the not so great things, the mainsail was rolled up and left to rot on the deck, and the jib was left on the furler and rotted away..

Though there is a massive beautiful spinnaker in great shape in a bag and I cant even imagine the awesome places it has flown around the world.

As well as one of the head sails, that seems to be in fair shape as well.

My sailing knowledge is pretty basic, but from what I understand she is a Cutter rigged sloop?

Bassically a sloop with 2 headsails on roller furling? if someone could clarify this for me I would really appreciate it. But just to confuse things further, there is another sail, that appears to slide into a short little boom / pole? that appears to hook on the mast somewhere? I would say the pole is 10-12 ft in length, any information on this would be appreciated..

I am looking for some used sails in decent shape, and am lucky to be near to a decent loft.

The hull is laid up very heavy and must be over an inch thick, pretty impressive and there are no signs of osmosis.

The gelcoat on the decks, is faded, and spiderwebbed. as well as having some chips, and it appears that someone thought that painting the cockpit with some cheap paint was a good idea....

So my idea is to over the winter, on the hard under cover, to sand out the decks and cockpit, remove the old anti skid texture basically take it down to smooth and crack free again, fill with glazing putty and airboard to level with guidecoat, and have pro painters come in and spray with a high quality epoxy paint and get her back to looking like the yacht she was, and then add kiwi grip after.

I realize this part of the project will be massive, but I think getting the decks and such looking the way they should is an important part.

As far as the rigging goes, the standing rigging is in great shape, but halyards and other running rigging were left to rot and I guess luckily are still in the mast, so At least I can measure and chase the old lines with new, and not have to hire a rigger to thread everything..

Anyway this is just some of my rambling, hopefully some more knowledeable folks then me would like to share, and who knows perhaps even another maple leaf owner will have some advice and information.

Satellite
42ft Maple Leaf
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-20-2012
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Our Maple Leaf 42' Project

Well, without photos I don't think many of us here will be looking in on your progress! Hope you have camera!
would this be your boat?

Look like a cutter rig. and the small boom could be for a self tending jib.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

I think Denise is probably right that the small sail and boom are a club footed staysail that has been replaced with the furling staysail. Sounds like a big project, but you should have a great boat when you get done. Pics!

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-20-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Specs for the Maple Leaf 42': MAPLE LEAF 42 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

The spec says it is a 'masthead sloop' rigged boat but that does not preclude that a previous owner added an inner fore stay to make it cutter rigged.

Good luck with your projects.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-20-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdadd View Post
We recently purchased a maple leaf 42', built in Vancouver by Cooper yachts..
Congrats - an old friend of the family built one of those in the Okanagan and ended up sailing it around the Island and later to Mexico and back. Another friend and his wife crewed one from here to S.F. They are very comfortable boats, if not exactly racy. Is yours a keel version or a board boat?

Quote:
I am looking for some used sails in decent shape, and am lucky to be near to a decent loft.
Check the web under "used sails" - lots of sources. Jibs & spinnakers are very available, decent mains not so much.

Quote:
So my idea is to over the winter, on the hard under cover, to sand out the decks and cockpit, remove the old anti skid texture basically take it down to smooth and crack free again, fill with glazing putty and airboard to level with guidecoat, and have pro painters come in and spray with a high quality epoxy paint and get her back to looking like the yacht she was, and then add kiwi grip after.
When you pull the hardware to prep & paint the deck, remember to "pot" and countersink all your holes - Coopers didn't do it and the deck is balsa core.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.