Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road
Re: Bow Eye?

Every time you pull that boat up by the eye, the u bolt will wiggle in it's holes, a flexible caulk, like Life is better, 5200 set's up a little stiff. West system for repairs, poly for new construction, alway's. Nothing will bond to hard poly like west system, mind you it's all about surface prep. 5200 is permanent when joining wood, It won't stick metal and poly together forever.
Old 07-23-2012

JeffTT is on a distinguished road

Wow. Lot of good info. This is exactly what i was looking for. Ill do some thinking and post when i begin my project. Much thanks to all who commented!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012

Ok. So im going to use life caulk for the bow eye. A friend at work suggested that I also put a block of marine plywood behind the u bolt and glass the whole thing. Is this necessary, has anyone heard of the u bolt pulling out or cracking a fiberglass hull? It just seems like overkill to me, but then I am new and don't have alot of experience working with boats.
Old 07-26-2012

SchwarckT is on a distinguished road

It does happen. The PO of my O-Day Mariner did it, so I had to replace it.

Last edited by SchwarckT; 07-26-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-26-2012

captainrizzo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTT View Post
Ok. So im going to use life caulk for the bow eye. A friend at work suggested that I also put a block of marine plywood behind the u bolt and glass the whole thing. Is this necessary, has anyone heard of the u bolt pulling out or cracking a fiberglass hull? It just seems like overkill to me, but then I am new and don't have alot of experience working with boats.
I would suggest that you use some sort of backing. Marine grade plywood will work, but you may have a difficult time as the inside of the hull at the bow will form a V. Tough to get plywood to be flush with the V. When I replaced my bow eye on a previous boat (because it broke), I used stainless straps and bent them to the shape of the V (Stainless straps are like a band of metal with holes every half inch or so). Then I glassed over it with fiberglass cloth. It was ugly, but strong as hell.

"If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood. Just teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea"
Antoine de Saint

My Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-26-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I don't like adding wood as a structual member where it can be avoided. If it is done perfectly it can be fine, but if not, the wood rots, and holds water against the stainless.

I would use either G10 board, or as Riz suggested metal strapping. as a backing plate.
Old 07-26-2012

Awesome. I will not use wood then. I dont care about pretty in this case. Definitely concerned with functionality though. Ill probably get the gear in a week or two and post some pics of how it turns out. (Weather pending). Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-27-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTT View Post
Overkill!!!!! Not necessary!

If your fibgerglass is really really flimsy you could consider the plywood block option but why on earth would you glass it in place? The glass wouldn't help it keep from pulling out. The glass might keep it from rotting over time, but in that case you're better off with a piece of aluminum as a backing plate. You can cut fairly thick aluminum with a jigsaw.

Back to the not necessary part.... What forces do you expect the bow eye to endure? You're going to use it to slide (float) the boat up the wet skids of a trailer. That's not much force.

Use the bolt, life-caulk, and be done with it. One tip for working with the life-caulk 4200, 5200 or other caulk is to have a fingerbowl of soapy water nearby. Apply lots of caulk, let it sqeeze out as you tighten the U'bolts and then wipe it off with your soaped up finger. The caulk won't stick to your finger and you can get a really professional looking bead that way just by running your finger along the edge.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-27-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

U bolt, backing plate, bed with butyl. Anything above the waterline that will flex even a little ought to be bedded with butyl.

What's the problem again exactly?
Old 07-29-2012

Hmmm. Yeah im kinda thinking it might be a bit much to block and glass something like a bow eye. The hull seems sturdy to me. I just dont want to have to redo the bow eye, or damage the hull by not doing this right. If the glass doesnt add any sgrength, then what is the point. Just put the eye in, and caulk it? No glass needed? Btw, is there an optimal distance from the water line to put the bow eye?

Tags
bow eye , fiberglass repair