Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2012

JeffTT is on a distinguished road
Bow Eye?

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a lightning 19. Its in good shape, but needs a little cosmetic work such as some wood trim and some minor ding repair in the hull. someone also told me that i may want to put in a bow eye so that when i get a decent trailer (the one it came on is s@#$) i can winch it up onto the trailer easily. I find myself a little intimidated since i have never worked with fiberglass before. Any info would be appreciated....i have no experience with this stuff but i am not a stranger of working with basic tools around the house. seriously, any info on brands, places to buy, tools to use or not to use, etc all info is welcome.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Bow Eye?

West Marine website has some great information on working with West System brand epoxy/glass.
How To Use
Old 07-21-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Drill 2 holes for your U-bolt ABOVE THE WATERLINE. Cover everything with copious amounts of 3M 5200 (enough so it squeezes out when you tighten the nuts on the U-bolt) and it should work out just fine.

+

=

I'd save the part about learning how to work with fiberglass until you really need to.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2012

Stumble is on a distinguished road

NEVER, EVER, EVER use 5200 on anything on a boat. Unless you have seperated the deck-hull joint, there is no equipment that should be bedded down with 5200. It is a permanent, as in can't ever be removed bedding, that typically involves cutting away at the underlying fiberglass to break something free.

If you need something that permanent use epoxy. For everything else 4200, or 4000uv if it's exposed to the sun.
Old 07-22-2012

SchwarckT is on a distinguished road

A tool like the Fein MultiMaster is very handy to have when working with fiberglass. Originally, I used epoxy for all my repairs, but now I mostly just use polyester resin with mat and cloth which you can buy almost anywhere and is less expensive.
Old 07-22-2012

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Two comments regarding the above posts.

1. I agree that 5200 is not the best caulk to use for the bow eye. Use only for things that will never have to be taken off. I would use Lifecaulk.

2. Polyester resin is definitely cheaper than epoxy resin, but epoxy is a much better choice for repairs. Polyester does not adhere nearly as well as epoxy does and for small jobs the cost difference is small.
Old 07-22-2012

SchwarckT is on a distinguished road

I've heard that about polyester before, but in my experience it adheres extremely well. I have made full thickness deck and hatch repairs and I'm sure they will last longer than I will. I guess time will tell.
Old 07-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarckT View Post
I've heard that about polyester before, but in my experience it adheres extremely well. I have made full thickness deck and hatch repairs and I'm sure they will last longer than I will. I guess time will tell.
Poly can be used for repairs, but ithe interface bond is at best is about 20% weaker than a wet layup bond. Compared to epoxy that reaches 100% of its wet layup bond when applied to dry poly, and the fact that an epoxy bond is much stronger anyway, leads me to never recommend poly for anything other than initial boat building.

It is less expensive, but it comes at a price. Typically my time and labor is worth more than the increased cost of the epoxy, and I hate redoing work.
Old 07-22-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
NEVER, EVER, EVER use 5200 on anything on a boat. Unless you have seperated the deck-hull joint, there is no equipment that should be bedded down with 5200. It is a permanent, as in can't ever be removed bedding, that typically involves cutting away at the underlying fiberglass to break something free.

If you need something that permanent use epoxy. For everything else 4200, or 4000uv if it's exposed to the sun.
I'm sorry but this is a very pervasive myth in the marine world. I've used 3 CASES of 5200 on my 2 boats over the years and NEVER had any trouble getting it off. There are even rumors that is can hold an unbolted keel on. Rubbish! I used it to bed my keel and it came off without even a whimper.

Also, if the rumors of 5200 fusing atoms together were true, do you every plan to take the bow eye off?

That said, there's nothing really wrong with 4200, or lifecaulk....

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 07-22-2012

5200 is primarily designed as an adhesive. NOT a bedding compound. Sure if you were gluing a bow eye to the front of the boat it might be reasonable, but the load is supposed to be carried by the through bolts.

Tags
bow eye , fiberglass repair