Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil based paints banned in September

The last pint of water based basecoat that I had to buy was Dupont Chromabase. It was $170.00 a pint. PINT! And the color match was ****. I had to blend the whole front of the car to get it to look right.
Regular urethane clearcoat is still available in California. It's about as expensive as it ever was.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road

The last pint of water based basecoat that I had to buy was Dupont Chromabase. It was $170.00 a pint. PINT! And the color match was ****. I had to blend the whole front of the car to get it to look right.
Regular urethane clearcoat is still available in California. It's about as expensive as it ever was.
Old 07-25-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Some how I don't think we are talking about the same drill bits
Whoa, pump your brakes, flatlander.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bljones; 07-25-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: to dial down hijack.
Old 07-25-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Both industry and provincial and federal governments, as well as the public in Alberta, call them Oil Sands. Tar Sands is considered pejorative.
I find it fascinating how the values of words change over time. When I first started teaching about the ??? Sands, in about 1980 +/- we received a teaching kit about this marvellous new resource that someday would provide vast amounts of oil (when the price went up enough). The kit came from Syncrude as I remember and the resource was only called 'Tar Sands' even on the little bottle of the stuff that was included.

I suspect that some PR guys got involved 15 or so years ago and did their focus groups and found out that people had more positive feelings about 'oil' than about 'tar' - hence the change and today's reality where is you are for it you call it oil sands and if you are agin it you call it tar sands. BTW, nothing wrong with the word (or substance) tar - has a number of significant uses.
Old 07-25-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

Somewhere else on Sailnet is a discussion about how off-topic post are ruining the good sailing-related threads...

Oops! guess this post is off-topic...Sorry! :-)
davidpm and Captainmeme like this.
Old 07-25-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Quote:
Yes, I understand that F150's are not practical in Toronto; Priuses are not exactly useful for hauling lumber, hay, drill bits, livestock feed or fertilizer.

Cupper you are correct...the F150's do have their place for the uses that you point out. They and the monster SUVs built on their frames, do not have their place in an urban environment like Toronto where I see them everyday doing 130-149KM on the 5 lane 407 toll highway with one person commuting to work.

They are a conspicuous waste of a non-renewable resource. Until North Americans get off their gas guzzling addiction we will forever be at the mercy of the middle east terrorists, even with the reserves stashed in the sands of northern Alberta, the Arctic and gulf of Mexico. That "kicking of the habit" will never happen in my lifetime because too many believe that it is their right to get somewhere 10 minutes ahead of me, in the largest vehicle possible, while at the same time bitching about the high price of gas.

We all agree that dumping raw sewage overboard is not good for the environment. ( or at least I think most of us agree) Too bad we cannot agree that unnecessarily dumping crap into the air is just as bad.

BTW, I have a bottle of the goopy sand sitting on my Toronto desk courtesy of my geologist brother who worked in Ft Mac for 3 years before he left in disgust. The tar, as he referred to it, ate through one pair of thick leather gloves every week.

Last edited by i_amcdn; 07-25-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-25-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Based on Don Casey's book I am going with exterior alklyd for the cabin interior.
Old 01-08-2014

swanbedankt is on a distinguished road

Some voc paint will still be available but labelled differently.. but grab it fast cause it wont last. Some of the giant buckets will be half price.. find a good place to store a few of these. Commercial grades will still have oil too but under a different acronym for a little while anyways.. sigh