Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Oil based paints banned in September

I've just heard that, in BC, all oil based pants will be banned as of September first. I have asked both the feds and the provincial governments, and they snuck it in so secretively, that neither one will tell me which is responsible.
Latex paint on your hull ,anyone?
It shouldn't surprise anyone, if the paint manufacturers encouraged the move. If the only paint you can buy is paint which falls off, they get to sell you more paint.
In Canada, every MP has a toll free number you can call him at, for free.
Here, in this area it is 1-800-667-8404. For the BC provincial government, you can call 1-800-663-7867, and ask to be connected to the premiers office or the environment ministers office. They can possibly clarify things for you. I dont know if the ban includes urethanes, but with urethanes, when you want to recoat, you have to sand some glass hard surfaces, or the next coat wont stick, and it takes ideal condtions to get it to work well.
Oil based paint was easy and forgiving to use, year round, and affdordable.
Amazing that, while they encourage crude oil laden super tankers to run thru some of the most pristine and sensitive cruising grounds in the world , which are also the most dangerous, they have some major "Environmental concerns " about the linseed oil in our paint, and want to restrict us to using stuff which is completely useless as a hull paint. .
swanbedankt likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Oil based paints banned in September

All of this is a big hassle that, to my mind, is totally unnecessary. If the Government of Canada was truly serious about tackling environmental issues, they would not be facilitating the Alberta Tar Sands the way they are. They would also take a leadership role in international talks around fossil fuel combustion and climate change. You canít take 100-million-years-worth of sequestered carbon deposits, throw them into the atmosphere over a period of 100 years and expect life to go on as usual. However, that is a discussion for another time and place.

Be happy you do not live in the USA now as everything has a California proposition 65 warning label
Ritchard and Brent Swain like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-23-2012

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
All of this is a big hassle that, to my mind, is totally unnecessary. If the Government of Canada was truly serious about tackling environmental issues, they would not be facilitating the Alberta Tar Sands the way they are. They would also take a leadership role in international talks around fossil fuel combustion and climate change. You canít take 100-million-years-worth of sequestered carbon deposits, throw them into the atmosphere over a period of 100 years and expect life to go on as usual. However, that is a discussion for another time and place.

Be happy you do not live in the USA now as everything has a California proposition 65 warning label
Both industry and provincial and federal governments, as well as the public in Alberta, call them Oil Sands. Tar Sands is considered pejorative.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 07-24-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

" I dont know if the ban includes urethanes,"
You're just twenty years behind the California standards. They've required "zero VOC" paints for about that long, which essentially means everything has to be water-based. The water-based urethanes (yes, there are such things) have come a long way, so the odds are urethanes won't be banned in BC, you'll just have to switch to the "california blends". Or stock up now.
Old 07-24-2012
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Can I buy urethanes for $27 a gallon? Can I recoat after several years, without sanding a glass hard surface, as urethanes are, as I do with oil based paints?
Do oil based paints do more damage to the environment than a supetanker breakup, or an oil pipeline broken by a rock slide?
Given their love of cars, and their lack of support for public transit, California law is, in many ways, the definition of environmental hippocracy. Canada doesn't need to import it here.
Old 07-24-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Well, I promise that if you find out who passed the legislation, I'll never vote for them. And you can tell them so.

Here in the US, you can buy latex interior housepaint for $25 a gallon if you buy it off-brand or on sale.
Old 07-24-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Tar Sands is considered pejorative.
As it should be.

Right up there with Ford F150, Escalade and Navigator.
Old 07-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_amcdn View Post
As it should be.

Right up there with Ford F150, Escalade and Navigator.
Yes, I understand that F150's are not practical in Toronto; Priuses are not exactly useful for hauling lumber, hay, drill bits, livestock feed or fertilizer.

Mind you, you probably think that your meat comes from the grocery store, born on styrofoam and wrapped in plastic. If it is a purebred the bar code comes standard.

Get real. Unless you live completely off the grid, tell me exactly how your lifestyle is supported. Oil and gas is a large part of it.

So if you want to exhibit that urban centric attitude which is always oh so superior, keep using pejoratives. However, if you want to understand how others live, perhaps it would be less confrontational to accept a correction in speech when it is pointed out to you.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 07-24-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Although, in the 416ers defense, how many folks driving pickups NEED pickups?
And when was the last time YOU saw a Navigator "hauling lumber, hay, drill bits, livestock feed or fertilizer"?

BTW, I have hauled lumber in my Smart Cabrio. and drill bits. At the same time.

Old 07-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Although, in the 416ers defense, how many folks driving pickups NEED pickups?
And when was the last time YOU saw a Navigator "hauling lumber, hay, drill bits, livestock feed or fertilizer"?

BTW, I have hauled lumber in my Smart Cabrio. and drill bits. At the same time.
Some how I don't think we are talking about the same drill bits

Not these: (cost - a few dollars and weigh about 1 oz a piece and can take maybe 75 lb pressure)

But these: (cost - 10's of thousands of dollars, weighs 100's of pounds and can take 70,000 lbs of pressure and more)

And no, you will NOT be hauling them in your Smart Car. Nor pipe stem, nor blowout preventers, cat tracks or the herd bull.

You may want to fantasize that your urban living requires nothing but your eco-car, but you know your wrong.

There is a reason F150's and larger proliferate in the west and the country... because they are used and needed. Smart Cars and Priuses belong in Toronto.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.