Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012

SchwarckT is on a distinguished road
Re: First Fiberglass repair

Maybe I'm just being contrary, but some of those pics look like real damage to the fiberglass. I've made similar repairs by grinding out the damaged area with a Fein MultiMaster and filling in the defect with polyester resin/mat/cloth. I know most say use epoxy which is fine, but the boat was made of polyester so I think using it for a repair will be as strong as the rest of the boat.
Old 07-26-2012

mbowser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarckT View Post
Maybe I'm just being contrary, but some of those pics look like real damage to the fiberglass.
I don't disagree. I think it has to be opened up to tell for sure. If the cracks extend beyond the gelcoat and into the laminate then you'll have to go structural on the repair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarckT View Post
Maybe I'm just being contrary, but some of those pics look like real damage to the fiberglass. I've made similar repairs by grinding out the damaged area with a Fein MultiMaster and filling in the defect with polyester resin/mat/cloth. I know most say use epoxy which is fine, but the boat was made of polyester so I think using it for a repair will be as strong as the rest of the boat.
the reason that most use epoxy for repairs and modifications is strength of the secondary bond of polyester is weak compaired to epoxy. secondary bond strength of polyester to polyester is about 25% of the original parts
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 07-26-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road

I have had great luck with MAS epoxy and West Systems. I usually buy larger containers of the resin and hardener and get the pumps to go with them. Then is it a 1:1 ratio of pumps and you can mix small batches really easily.
Old 07-26-2012
Irwin 25

andrewalexander is on a distinguished road

I_am...I don't have enough post to sent you a PM - my email addy is

andrew at amlexander dot com
Old 07-26-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I would make sure there isn't any rotten wood inside some of those bad spots before starting with the repairs. If there is, you may be able to pour some very thin epoxy (aka, penetrating epoxy) in there to seal and strengthen the rotted area (there is considerable controversy about the efficacy of this, but I've done it with some success). However, if there is a lot of rot, or if the rot is in a "critical" spot, you may have to dig all the rotted wood out and epoxy in new wood. In any case, you can get your epoxy at a pretty big discount from Progressive Epoxy. Their website also has a ton of info.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-28-2012

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn

[QUOTE=andrewalexander;901851]I_am...I don't have enough post to sent you a PM - my email addy is
/QUOTE]

Andrew,
Sent late tonite...got a bounce back so i added an "a" between "am" and "lex" ....you should see it now..

Thanks
Old 07-28-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowser View Post

As far as epoxy goes, West is great stuff, but it is expensive and most of their products are 5:1 ratio which is easy to screw up (seems simple until you are in the middle of a repair and realize you have to quickly mix up another batch before the first kicks). I prefer the 2:1 ratio epoxies like System Three, Progressive, Raka, etc... They are easier to mix and can be found at close to half the cost of West System.
Two words: metered pumps.
i have used upwards of 75 gallons of West epoxy and never had a bad batch. One squirt of this,one squirt of that,stir, done.
It is virtually idiot-proof.
yeah, in smaller quantities it is about 20-30% more expensive, than the other suspects but, at least in my part of Canada, there are five chandleries, two hardware stores and one aircraft supply house that stock West products. Nobody stocks Raka, Mas, System three, etc. They can get it, but it's gonna take 5 days to a week. I could deal directly with the source, but the price isn't significantly cheaper and i have to pay for shipping. meanwhile, whatever i am working on has to gather dust. If i run out of West 205 during a project, i can get more before the current coat kicks.
Once you start buying the stuff in gallon-plus quantities, the cost difference between West and most competitors virtually disappears, especially when you start adding in shipping...
...and i kinda like dealing with the guys who do the R&D and have built the boats. kinda nice to know i am dealing with a company that has some skin in the game, rather than just some guy with a crappy website whose whole marketing strategy is simply being cheap.
Cal28 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-28-2012

Cal28 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Two words: metered pumps.

It is virtually idiot-proof.
bljones

two words: thank you

I am glad you qualified that last statement with 'virtually' ... I'll let you know Sunday ...
Old 07-28-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Remember, even if the mix ratio is 3:1,for example, it is still ONE pump of this pump and ONE pump of that pump, not three pumps of this to one pump of that. According to West that is the number one reason why novices have problems.