Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012

patrscoe is on a distinguished road
Hard bimini

I saw a sailboat with a hard bimini. Very interesting concept.
I did some research online and saw someone built one and used starboard as a top surface.
Not saying I'm going to build one but again, I like the concept.

Does anyone have a hard bimini and any opinions about them? Pros and cons.

Patrick

S2 11.0A 36'
Kinsale, Va
Tanzer 16'
Moseley, Va
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Hard bimini

My dodger extension/bimini is some kind of vinyl where as the dodger roof is fibreglass.

I am currently looking for a fibreglass sheet supplier down island as I want to replace the vinyl with a hardtop.
Old 07-24-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
My dodger extension/bimini is some kind of vinyl where as the dodger roof is fibreglass.

I am currently looking for a fibreglass sheet supplier down island as I want to replace the vinyl with a hardtop.
You never fold the thing away ?

We have cockpit enclosure of canvas and clears with solar panels over. Theoretically one never needs to fold away the top but I always do when we sail as I like to be able to look up at the main. Even the solar panels block that to some extent and I'm thinking of moving them out the back onto an arch.

While I like the ability to enclose the cockpit there are just so many times when I want clear view up.

Andrew B
killarney_sailor likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 07-24-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

A hard Bimini is essentially an inexpensive version of a Tee-Top. I thought seriously about custom making a Tee-Top for my Morgan 33 O.I., but it was cost prohibitive. I've had Tee-Tops on five powerboats and they are very sturdy, solid as a rock, have great electronics boxes suspended on the underside of the top and you don't have nearly the number of vertical supports to climb around in order to reach the foredeck. Most have optional side curtains and some have full enclosures available that allow you to sail comfortably in cold weather.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 07-25-2012

St Anna is on a distinguished road

I had one made from a ss frame and fibreglass sheeting 2.5mm thick. The same stuff they use for refridgerated truck bodies.

I have clears back and sides and a polycarb 'windscreen' - works great. Can keep out of wind/sun/water etc or open it all up for air!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-25-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
You never fold the thing away ?

We have cockpit enclosure of canvas and clears with solar panels over. Theoretically one never needs to fold away the top but I always do when we sail as I like to be able to look up at the main. Even the solar panels block that to some extent and I'm thinking of moving them out the back onto an arch.

While I like the ability to enclose the cockpit there are just so many times when I want clear view up.

Andrew B
Never gets folded away. If it is remade as hard I guess I would have to leave it up even in a hurricane where as I could strip the current one off in 20 minutes.

The dodger front can be unzipped for extra ventilation when hot.

I am tall enough and the current size of the bimini is such that I can look over the top to check sail set. Short crew complain though!
Old 07-25-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrscoe:900672
I saw a sailboat with a hard bimini. Very interesting concept.
I did some research online and saw someone built one and used starboard as a top surface.
Not saying I'm going to build one but again, I like the concept.

Does anyone have a hard bimini and any opinions about them? Pros and cons.

Patrick
Our boat came with a soft bimini and soft dodger connected. As the canvas was over 6 years old in SoCal sunshine we looked to replace the material. After a number of quotes in the 6K range and wanting to install solar panels to the top we decided on building a one piece hard top to replace both the dodger and bimini. I built it with a foam core and 24.5oz roving-strand cloth with West epoxy and measures 10'w x 12'. I installed red-white lighting and a Lewmar Ocean hatch over the wheel similar to the existing ones elsewhere on DreamKetchr. It will have removable soft sides with eisenglass and screens. We're getting ready to mount it this month, and are looking forward to the idea that we'll not have to replace the soft top again as well as the add protection from weather.
Old 07-25-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
Our boat came with a soft bimini and soft dodger connected. As the canvas was over 6 years old in SoCal sunshine we looked to replace the material. After a number of quotes in the 6K range and wanting to install solar panels to the top we decided on building a one piece hard top to replace both the dodger and bimini. I built it with a foam core and 24.5oz roving-strand cloth with West epoxy and measures 10'w x 12'. I installed red-white lighting and a Lewmar Ocean hatch over the wheel similar to the existing ones elsewhere on DreamKetchr. It will have removable soft sides with eisenglass and screens. We're getting ready to mount it this month, and are looking forward to the idea that we'll not have to replace the soft top again as well as the add protection from weather.
Pictures?
Old 07-25-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
[quote=peterchech:901064]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea_hunter View Post
Pictures?
Coming soon to a theater near you. It will be a progressive view from mockup to form to finishing to paint then on the boat. We're at the paint phase right now.
Old 07-25-2012

2Gringos is on a distinguished road

For those in the planning stages, check this stuff out.

Solid cellular PVC Sheet | PVC Sheet Manufacturer | AZEK Sheet

PVC sheets, strong, maintenance free. Can bolt solar panels right to it, walk on it, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.