Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

I sail on a boat with over 20 year OLD white Awlgrip

At some point there is only one realistic path

I can always tell who has never spent a month wetsanding a masive area

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2012
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

I think the satisfaction of rolling and tipping a sweet paint job on your own vessel is something that can often be overlooked. Yes, it's work, but at the end of the day when the compliments roll in (pun), it's a nice feeling. Haul once a year, paint the hull and decks every two. It's just part of owning a boat.

Re doing a gel coat job seems like little return for a massive investment.
Old 07-27-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

process:

1) fill in cracks, nick, etc with putty or epoxy
2) remove deck hardware ('cuz I hope you are rebedding everything anyhow)
3) apply 18 mils gelcoat (oops did I forget to accetone surface ?)
4) cure
5) wetsand by hand with 320
6) wetsand by hand with 600
7) wetsand by hand with 800
8) wetsand by hand with 1000
9) wetsand by hand with 1200
10) opps have some nicks - I forgot to fill
11) mask and regelcoat
12) steps 5-9 in some small areas
13) shine bright light over every milimeter of surface
14) retouch the parts you messed up
15) stepes 5-9 in some more small areas
16) apply compound and buff
17) rebuff

now you have a deck that is ready to rebed hardware....
Old 07-28-2012
Learning to sail

aaronwindward is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
Haul once a year, paint the hull and decks every two. It's just part of owning a boat.

Re doing a gel coat job seems like little return for a massive investment.
I guess I'm just built differently. If I had to repaint and rebed all deck hardware every other year, I would surely give up boat ownership—or face losing my job and going broke. It's not that I don't feel satisfaction from successfully performing maintenance on my boat. But every hour I'm performing maintenance on the boat, I'm burning my evening, weekend, or vacation, and not actually getting in any sailing.

My gelcoat has lasted 40 years; if a renewal lasted just as long, it may exceed the life of the boat, and my life expectancy, for that matter.

Having seen some video of people applying gelcoat over large areas, it doesn't really seem like it's really that crazy of a task, particularly when you compare it to something like repairing boat pox.
chrisncate likes this.
Old 07-28-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Hey, it's your boat, your life, your time and your money. The responses you got were virtually unanimous, and if you still think it's a good idea, you can't say we didn't warn you.

Old 07-28-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Aaron - I'm about to try it on my beach cat hulls. I'll let you know how much of a hassle it is in my Rehab thread. But keep in mind, I'm not going for the perfect finish - so sand it with a grain of salt (oooh that was good).

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 07-28-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough

When we re-fit Laurie Anne we had parts of the topsides re-gelcoated where the teak decks were removed and we had to match the existing gelcoat. Our fiberglass guy also re-did sections of the house sides where it was scratched or damaged. Looks great, you can't tell it ever had teak decks. We also had all the gelcoat redone on the house sides on our crab boat by the same guy, looks new and should last forever. He does this routinely for commercial fishing boats, paint doesn't tend to last long on them. It is time consuming, but the cost was less than half again what paint would have been and gelcoat is easily (by a competent glass guy) repaired. He sprayed it on, wet sanded, buffed and polished it. For long term, or hard use, it makes a lot of sense.
smackdaddy and SloopJonB like this.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 07-28-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

A couple of years ago I watched two boats being done in my boatyard. One was being completely re-gelcoated and the others hull was being done with 2 part poly.

The work seemed to be about the same overall. IMO the gelcoated boat came out better looking. It had a beautiful, slightly pearlescent sheen, not an ultra high gloss mirror finish. The two part paint job was prepped by three guys on a longboard for DAYS. it came out looking like a show car - you could literally shave in your reflection but when it hit the water it looked wavy, as if it had been badly faired. That was caused by all the perfect reflections of the ripples in the water - it was TOO perfect for the environment it lived in.

I've been told by pro refinishers that there are gelcoats available now that don't require the massive finish work of days of old - they don't orange peel like the old gels. The first one who told me this did some spray touchup on my hull and it was easy to sand & buff - less work by far than the absolute perfection of pre-paint prep the 2-parts require.

Finally, I think the post by WDS123 goes way over the top - few cars other than show cars ever go past 600 wet before the buffer. His process might be required when prepping a plug for production moulds but certainly not for refinishing a hull. I went to 600 wet, then coarse, then fine polishing compounds, then wax and I could read the names of surrounding boats in the reflections on my 40 year old, badly neglected gelcoat.

Remember - a boat should look good from 10 feet, not one foot - a one footer has to live in a shed and takes all your time to keep it that way.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 07-28-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

The big question at hand in my mind is that this place is to a large extent DIY focused and IMHP the Roll & Tip two part fits that the best ?

As i build my own bicycles I am fairly skilled spray painter as in they look good enough at 1" that people pay money

BUT there is absolutely positively NO way that skill scales UP to the quantity and toxicity of spraying the quantity of material needed on a even a 29' boat in the very SHORT time frame it needs to be done in .

The 545 primer which while not nice stuff is the only material easy to spray in large amounts i have seen

As far as life Seafevers Awlgrip is going on its second year and shows ZERO loss of gloss

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-28-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Conventional "gelcoat" material only sets up and cures in the absence of air. Making it great to apply inside a female mold before frp is laid over it, but impossible to spray like paint, since you'd have to cover it to cure it. There are supposed to be new "gelcoat" materials that will cure in air but at that point maybe price is a problem?