Why paint instead of gelcoat? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 27Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 111 Old 07-30-2012
Senior Member
 
davidpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Madison
Posts: 3,996
Thanks: 250
Thanked 62 Times in 53 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

To add more confusion the the mix I have been told that some new boat manufactures (power) all-grip their boats from the factory over the gel coat finish.
The reason is that the all-grip has a deeper brighter shine that certain buyers prefer.
davidpm is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 111 Old 07-31-2012
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,444
Thanks: 59
Thanked 68 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
To add more confusion the the mix I have been told that some new boat manufactures (power) all-grip their boats from the factory over the gel coat finish.
The reason is that the all-grip has a deeper brighter shine that certain buyers prefer.
As I noted earlier, there's no question the 2-parts have more gloss - you can get a true mirror finish on a properly prepared surface. When in the water though, it doesn't look as good because of all the reflections - gel coat with a good shine looks better.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #33 of 111 Old 07-31-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,104
Thanks: 46
Thanked 229 Times in 214 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

For those of you that are in favor of gel coat over paint, do you feel the same for darker colors?

Let's face it, everyone scratches their boat. Some keep them insignificant enough, they aren't noticeable from 10 feet away. Others are less fortunate. I had a neighbor with a dark blue gelcoat hull that must have gotten into a dock or some nasty rubbing on a mooring or something bad to the front of her hull. It was a 4 x 4 foot set of serious scratches. It seemed like there was virtually nothing they could do to help. Paint, particularly acrylic, can be repaired. Even the new Alexseal LP paint, claims it can be repaired.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #34 of 111 Old 07-31-2012
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,444
Thanks: 59
Thanked 68 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
For those of you that are in favor of gel coat over paint, do you feel the same for darker colors?

Let's face it, everyone scratches their boat. Some keep them insignificant enough, they aren't noticeable from 10 feet away. Others are less fortunate. I had a neighbor with a dark blue gelcoat hull that must have gotten into a dock or some nasty rubbing on a mooring or something bad to the front of her hull. It was a 4 x 4 foot set of serious scratches. It seemed like there was virtually nothing they could do to help. Paint, particularly acrylic, can be repaired. Even the new Alexseal LP paint, claims it can be repaired.
Gelcoat is easy to touch up, that's one of it's best features. My boat had a gouge 3/16" wide, 12 feet long down to the matt - like it had slid along a nail hanging out of a piling. I filled and prepped it and had a guy spray gel over it, then I rubbed it out - it was nearly invisible and this on 40 year old gelcoat.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #35 of 111 Old 07-31-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 11,104
Thanks: 46
Thanked 229 Times in 214 Posts
Rep Power: 7
   
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Gelcoat is easy to touch up, that's one of it's best features. My boat had a gouge 3/16" wide, 12 feet long down to the matt - like it had slid along a nail hanging out of a piling. I filled and prepped it and had a guy spray gel over it, then I rubbed it out - it was nearly invisible and this on 40 year old gelcoat.
Was this a dark color?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Minnewaska is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #36 of 111 Old 07-31-2012
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,439
Thanks: 149
Thanked 140 Times in 133 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
Sure it does, Smack, especially in the context of this thread.
Well, I guess the way I see it, there are a couple of pretty knowledgeable guys in this thread talking about how gelcoat is superior to paint. And how it's really not that hard to work with. And this seems to be based on their actual experience.

Then there are you and others who insist it's impossible to for a DIYer to get good results with it. And I'm not clear which of this crowd has actually sprayed gelcoat like the former to know that. Though I don't discount what you're saying, I don't just buy it outright either.

So, I guess as someone interested in the issue (and about to try basic gelcoating), I like the advice of the guys in the first group because I like the idea of not having to do the work again for many, many years.

We'll see how it comes out.

(PS - the issue of whether boat yards will allow spraying of gelcoat is another matter I suppose. But, again, even within the context of this thread, I think Rich's comparison is an easy one.)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 07-31-2012 at 01:28 PM.
smackdaddy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #37 of 111 Old 07-31-2012
Senior Moment Member
 
SloopJonB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: West Vancouver B.C.
Posts: 11,444
Thanks: 59
Thanked 68 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Was this a dark color?
Nope - 40 year old, thoroughly oxidized off-white. Why would dark colours be any different? Colour matching is colour matching.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
SloopJonB is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #38 of 111 Old 07-31-2012
Senior Member
 
RichH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,454
Thanks: 24
Thanked 153 Times in 142 Posts
Rep Power: 16
 
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
As I noted earlier, there's no question the 2-parts have more gloss - you can get a true mirror finish on a properly prepared surface. When in the water though, it doesn't look as good because of all the reflections - gel coat with a good shine looks better.
Duratec Clear High Gloss additive and similar gloss gelcoat additives can produce a gelcoat surface with equal gloss to even the 2 Part urethane-acrylic finishes ... and its just as 'repairable' as the copolymer 2-parts. Some would add that the high gloss additives are 'glossier'.
RichH is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #39 of 111 Old 07-31-2012
Member
 
BluemanSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Jenkintown
Posts: 86
Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 7
 
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Duratec Clear High Gloss additive and similar gloss gelcoat additives can produce a gelcoat surface with equal gloss to even the 2 Part urethane-acrylic finishes ... and its just as 'repairable' as the copolymer 2-parts. Some would add that the high gloss additives are 'glossier'.
I just ordered some of this Duratec additive after reading about it and studying the online comments for the past month. Have decided to re-gel coat part of my deck: the areas around the none skid, cabin sides, cockpit and my high bulwarks.

Brought a gallon of colored gelcoat from Fibre Glast - they have over 900 custom colors and what is great is that you can rent a chip booklet for $5.00 for the month, I think I found an exact match to my boats color. Hoping that I get my Duratec and thinner soon and will do some test spraying hopefully this weekend or next. I've never re-gel coated but have used Awlgrip and done a reasonable amount of fiberglass construction and repair. I'll post photos as soon as I've sprayed some samples. Also I'm only going to use those Preval sprayers as I'm only spraying a small area at a time. Wish me luck.
SloopJonB likes this.

Roland
Sailor - kayaker - woodturner - Photographer.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New boat sailblog -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BluemanSailor is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #40 of 111 Old 07-31-2012
Senior Member
 
RichH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,454
Thanks: 24
Thanked 153 Times in 142 Posts
Rep Power: 16
 
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluemanSailor View Post
I just ordered some of this Duratec additive after reading about it and studying the online comments for the past month. Have decided to re-gel coat part of my deck: the areas around the none skid, cabin sides, cockpit and my high bulwarks.

Brought a gallon of colored gelcoat from Fibre Glast - they have over 900 custom colors and what is great is that you can rent a chip booklet for $5.00 for the month, I think I found an exact match to my boats color. Hoping that I get my Duratec and thinner soon and will do some test spraying hopefully this weekend or next. I've never re-gel coated but have used Awlgrip and done a reasonable amount of fiberglass construction and repair. I'll post photos as soon as I've sprayed some samples. Also I'm only going to use those Preval sprayers as I'm only spraying a small area at a time. Wish me luck.
Here's a hint to do a better job with the PreVal sprayers:
1. Go to a paint store and get a supply of small conical 'paint strainers' - finest 'mesh' size you can obtain.
2. Mix and thin the Gel to the consistency you desire .... dont add the catalyst, yet.
3. Filter the uncatalyzed gel through the paint strainer
4. REMOVE the teeny stainer on the PreVal suction tube .... throw it away. Its too small and easily clogs.
5. Add catalyst to the filtered gel, etc. etc. and spray.

The result will be 'better' and heavier spray (no restriction due to the teeny Preval 'strainer'), and the Preval 'strainer' wont clog up during the operation. etc. ... although sometimes when the gel 'begins' to kick it will clog the spray orfice.

Other
You will be flat sanding and polishing/buffing later on .... To affect the best accelerated surface cure, spay on some 'parting fluid' or PolyVinyl Alcohol (PVA) over top of any spraying you do - its easily sprayed with a PreVal and is water soluble to remove it after the 'cure'/kick.

Good Luck.

;-)
bljones likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 07-31-2012 at 02:59 PM.
RichH is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Removing paint from Gelcoat lrak Gear & Maintenance 17 04-15-2014 03:11 PM
Is this paint or gelcoat? bamabratsche Gear & Maintenance 8 02-20-2012 05:37 PM
Gelcoat? Paint? dmcleaner General Discussion (sailing related) 8 06-15-2010 11:24 AM
Newbie Q: Paint or gelcoat crazing? justmike Boat Review and Purchase Forum 9 09-19-2007 05:41 PM
Paint Stripper on gelcoat! Help! sailor25b Gear & Maintenance 6 02-16-2007 12:53 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome