Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluemanSailor View Post
I just ordered some of this Duratec additive after reading about it and studying the online comments for the past month. Have decided to re-gel coat part of my deck: the areas around the none skid, cabin sides, cockpit and my high bulwarks.

Brought a gallon of colored gelcoat from Fibre Glast - they have over 900 custom colors and what is great is that you can rent a chip booklet for $5.00 for the month, I think I found an exact match to my boats color. Hoping that I get my Duratec and thinner soon and will do some test spraying hopefully this weekend or next. I've never re-gel coated but have used Awlgrip and done a reasonable amount of fiberglass construction and repair. I'll post photos as soon as I've sprayed some samples. Also I'm only going to use those Preval sprayers as I'm only spraying a small area at a time. Wish me luck.
Here's a hint to do a better job with the PreVal sprayers:
1. Go to a paint store and get a supply of small conical 'paint strainers' - finest 'mesh' size you can obtain.
2. Mix and thin the Gel to the consistency you desire .... dont add the catalyst, yet.
3. Filter the uncatalyzed gel through the paint strainer
4. REMOVE the teeny stainer on the PreVal suction tube .... throw it away. Its too small and easily clogs.
5. Add catalyst to the filtered gel, etc. etc. and spray.

The result will be 'better' and heavier spray (no restriction due to the teeny Preval 'strainer'), and the Preval 'strainer' wont clog up during the operation. etc. ... although sometimes when the gel 'begins' to kick it will clog the spray orfice.

Other
You will be flat sanding and polishing/buffing later on .... To affect the best accelerated surface cure, spay on some 'parting fluid' or PolyVinyl Alcohol (PVA) over top of any spraying you do - its easily sprayed with a PreVal and is water soluble to remove it after the 'cure'/kick.

Good Luck.

;-)
bljones likes this.

Last edited by RichH; 07-31-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2012

BluemanSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Here's a hint to do a better job with the PreVal sprayers:
1. Go to a paint store and get a supply of small conical 'paint strainers' - finest 'mesh' size you can obtain.
2. Mix and thin the Gel to the consistency you desire .... dont add the catalyst, yet.
3. Filter the uncatalyzed gel through the paint strainer
4. REMOVE the teeny stainer on the PreVal suction tube .... throw it away. Its too small and easily clogs.
5. Add catalyst to the filtered gel, etc. etc. and spray.

The result will be 'better' and heavier spray (no restriction due to the teeny Preval 'strainer'), and the Preval 'strainer' wont clog up during the operation. etc. ... although sometimes when the gel 'begins' to kick it will clog the spray orfice.

Good Luck.

;-)
thanks for the tips!

New boat sailblog -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Nope - 40 year old, thoroughly oxidized off-white. Why would dark colours be any different? Colour matching is colour matching.
I don't think you can color match oxidized dark blue gelcoat, expecially when it gets old and milky. White seems like it just takes on a different version of white.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I don't think you can color match oxidized dark blue gelcoat, expecially when it gets old and milky. White seems like it just takes on a different version of white.
Colour sanding - wet 600 grit then compounding with a buffer should bring back the dark blue - it worked on my 40 year old, dark blue boot top.

If colour sanding and polishing won't bring it back to at least acceptable condition, it's time to recoat, not touch up. If it's that bad, why would you want to bother with touching up scratches? Conversely, why would you care if they didn't match?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-01-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Sloop. I will take your word for it that it can be done. However, I often see it isn't done. I don't think oxidized gelcoat looks so bad that one wouldn't care about a serious scratch. Just think it's hard to match in and you're saying you can bring it back with wet sanding and compound before recoating. I would have thought I would see more rejuvenating going on, scratch or not, but again, I will take your word on it.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I would have thought I would see more rejuvenating going on, scratch or not, but again, I will take your word on it.
Did I mention that it took me a month to do the hull of my 43'?

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-01-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
... 5. Add catalyst to the filtered gel, etc. etc. and spray.
And remember that when you do your calculations on how much catalyst to add, you need to base them on the volume of the thinned gel and not the original amount taken out of the can.

Don't ask me how I know this...
BluemanSailor likes this.
Old 08-01-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

Wow, a lot of opinons on both sides, no question a new layer of gelcoat will be better, but I used to work for a plastics, shop, I have gallons of resin in my garage that I regularly fabricate fiberglass objects with, as well as boat repairs....

a few weeks ago I decided to refinish my boat.

I gel coated the gouges, sanded flat, then painted the hull with a marine enamel, I did the same to the deck mixed with some nonskid. It only took a weekend, and it came out great.
Old 08-01-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Ok I am totally confused about paint vs gel coat.

Years ago I re-built an old neglected 13 foot boston whaler. I wanted to re gel coat but everyone I spoke with said forget it, it is not done, just paint. That's what I did.

I never see boat yards advertise to re gel coat. They all advertise two part paint. So are there boat yards that would re gel coat? If cost is an issue, what % increase in cost would there be to gel coat instead of paint?
Regards
Old 08-01-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Ok I am totally confused about paint vs gel coat.

Years ago I re-built an old neglected 13 foot boston whaler. I wanted to re gel coat but everyone I spoke with said forget it, it is not done, just paint. That's what I did.

I never see boat yards advertise to re gel coat. They all advertise two part paint. So are there boat yards that would re gel coat? If cost is an issue, what % increase in cost would there be to gel coat instead of paint?
Regards
Years ago it wasn't done because the resins of the time orange peeled badly when used outside of a mould. It took a very large amount of sanding and polishing to get a nice surface. New resins are available that don't do it.

I had some extensive touching up done on my hull to cover repaired scrapes, thin spots etc. Probably more than 5% of the hull needed spraying and it cost me $100 which included the gel and the colour matching.

Most of the cost of recoating a hull is the prep work which anybody is capable of doing - it just takes time and brute labour. Getting someone in to just spray the coating is usually only a few $hundred.

If you haven't ever sanded anything like a boat or a car, it would be advisable to do some reading on proper technique and materials beforehand. If you prep it properly it will come out better than new in almost all cases.