Why paint instead of gelcoat? - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 111 Old 08-04-2012

Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

Preparation, preparation, preparation. ;-)

So *that's* how you got the surface so smooth!
chrisncate likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 111 Old 08-04-2012
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

One thing I have not heard discussed is will a new gelcoat applied over long time cured GRP be at risk of peeling off.

After all perceived wisdom is that polyester resin does not 'stick' well to cured GRP and this is the reason that epoxy is preferred for GRP repair work.

So might it peel? Just asking.
post #83 of 111 Old 08-04-2012

I have to say in all honesty i spray well enough to get paid

1. PPG DCC Concept automotive is the only stuff i ever used that had well defined instructions that were correct in pretty much every aspect

Most auto stuff has a large selection of clearly defined reducers for the spraying conditions that take a LOT of the Voodoo out of it

2. Does Perfection work yes BUT don't even get me started about the BS they put me through during the white recall

3. Awlgrip rolls & tips nicely BUT its still Voodoo because your working outdoors in and ever changing environment with a paint that lives or dies on a 5 degree temperature change that you had not put in enough reducer to cover

4.There is NOT enough money in the world to get me to shoot more than bicycle quantity of anything but 545 primer without full blown top to bottom safety gear

All of this stuff paint or gelcoat when sprayed in large amounts will KILL YOU with a minor respirator screw-up PERIOD

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #84 of 111 Old 05-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
See, this is what i don't get. show me the savings in material cost to prove out your theory.

According to Evercote, you get 50 sq ft. per gallon at 20 mils

http://www.evercoat.com/imgs/pis/GELCOAT.pdf

Whereas you get over 10 times as much coverage with Interlux perfection
Interlux Paint Coverage Chart

So, a cat with 2 16' x 2' x 1' hulls is 192 sq ft of surface to cover. 4 gallons of gelcoat or less than one gallon of paint.
I have been trying to figure whether to re-gel or paint my p-30. I'm retired so time is free and I enjoy working on something. The cost is what staggers me on awlgrip so unless I got it wrong a gallon of 545, gallon of converter for it a gallon top coat, converter for it then the thinners and so on the order was over $700 and climbing. On the other side of the equation 2 gallons of gel coat and related additives, thinners $150-200. I own an air powered wet sander which will help speed it along. I spoke with the kid who does it professionally at our yard he said while his boss will do both for a customer he jokes with awlgrip we'll see him again in a few years. As to touchup on awlgrip forget about it, gel retouches nicely. I believe Jamestown's figures on the paint are per coat with at least 2 coats that thin required so at least double maybe triple the paint estimate.
post #85 of 111 Old 05-15-2014
Reward for lost Kraken!

"3. Awlgrip rolls & tips nicely BUT its still Voodoo because your working outdoors "

There's no doubt that working indoors, in a huge and costly climate-controlled shed with EPA approved ventilation and recovery systems is going to ka-ching the price of any job, but there's a strong rumor going around that it also totally removes the voodoo element from paint jobs. As well as the stray bugs, bits of plant matter, all that fun stuff.

Isn't the gelcoat more difficult to apply, and less forgiving?
post #86 of 111 Old 05-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulli View Post
I have been trying to figure whether to re-gel or paint my p-30. I'm retired so time is free and I enjoy working on something. The cost is what staggers me on awlgrip so unless I got it wrong a gallon of 545, gallon of converter for it a gallon top coat, converter for it then the thinners and so on the order was over $700 and climbing. On the other side of the equation 2 gallons of gel coat and related additives, thinners $150-200. I own an air powered wet sander which will help speed it along. I spoke with the kid who does it professionally at our yard he said while his boss will do both for a customer he jokes with awlgrip we'll see him again in a few years. As to touchup on awlgrip forget about it, gel retouches nicely. I believe Jamestown's figures on the paint are per coat with at least 2 coats that thin required so at least double maybe triple the paint estimate.
Well you do have to spray enough gelcoat (it will orange peel)to be able to wetsand it flat and buff in that shine

Your also mixing and shooting in at the most 15 minute cycles

Come up a little short on and outside corner and start spraying and sanding again

As has been said before I have never seen a 30' hull RE - gel coated after the first time in the mold due to the labor in the sanding ?

Plenty of repairs not any complete do overs

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

post #87 of 111 Old 05-15-2014
Last Man Standing

In the end I painted my beachcat - and it looks great. No doubt. But it was definitely more expensive than the gelcoat would have been (at the least the stuff I was looking at). AND it does get knicked pretty easily (not a great thing for a beachcat).

In the end I wish I would have tried the gelcoat. I honestly don't think it would have looked as good as the paint (since I was rolling not spraying) - bit it would have been a more sensible finish for my beachcat I think.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
post #88 of 111 Old 05-15-2014

Smack you would have been wet sanding two fairly TINY hulls which even I would have taken a shot at

Spend 8+++ hours on a ladder wet sanding the 545 which is easy stuff and then do the math on how many weeks you would be wet sanding gel

1970 Cal 29 Sea Fever

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

Last edited by tommays; 05-15-2014 at 12:47 PM.
post #89 of 111 Old 05-15-2014
Last Man Standing

Yeah Tom, but you forget my 10' rule. As long as it looks pretty good from 10' away, I'm cool with it.

You go by the 4" rule. Your work is awesome.

My bar is much, much lower.
christian.hess likes this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-15-2014 at 12:57 PM.
post #90 of 111 Old 05-15-2014
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
Well you do have to spray enough gelcoat (it will orange peel)to be able to wetsand it flat and buff in that shine

Your also mixing and shooting in at the most 15 minute cycles

Come up a little short on and outside corner and start spraying and sanding again

As has been said before I have never seen a 30' hull RE - gel coated after the first time in the mold due to the labor in the sanding ?

Plenty of repairs not any complete do overs
I've seen a 28' power cruiser re-gelled and it came out very well. There are new formulations that don't orange peel like the G.O.D.'s - I had a pro shoot some pretty big patches on my 43' - like 15' X 3' - and it required very little sanding, less than the rest of the chalked gelcoat. I started with 400 wet if that clarifies it.
christian.hess likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.