Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Why paint instead of gelcoat?

I guess that's what I find so interesting about these kinds of threads...the notion of what "looks right" vs. what "is right"...and the idea of what "looks perfect" when you're done vs. what "still looks great" years on when the "perfect" is long lost its initial sheen. The DIY conundrum.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2012
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I guess that's what I find so interesting about these kinds of threads...the notion of what "looks right" vs. what "is right"...and the idea of what "looks perfect" when you're done vs. what "still looks great" years on when the "perfect" is long lost its initial sheen. The DIY conundrum.
Uh, SD? It's Brightside, so it'll need a repaint every two years. No real mystery there, and no conundrum at all. It's not complicated paint, it's all technique.

When I do my first Awlgrip job, then we'll have that debate.
Old 08-03-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Uh, SD? It's Brightside,"
"Did I measure the thickness of my coating? "

Oh, so it's PAINT not gelCOATing. That changes a lot of things.
Old 08-03-2012
Taco Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Uh, SD? It's Brightside,"
"Did I measure the thickness of my coating? "

Oh, so it's PAINT not gelCOATing. That changes a lot of things.
The error is completely on your part regarding any misunderstanding of what we were discussing.
Old 08-03-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisncate View Post
We had to learn that paint is alive, if it wants to lay down it will - if it just doesn't want to work, it won't. Listen to what the paint is telling you, and if you feel like it's not going right - STOP. Wait till it wants to lay down nice.
Wow. Paint sounds like a freakin' spoiled supermodel with all the continual thinning, the moody complaining, and the laziness!

At what point do you just man up and kick it's runny ass?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-03-2012
Taco Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Wow. Paint sounds like a freakin' spoiled supermodel with all the continual thinning, the moody complaining, and the laziness!

At what point do you just man up and kick it's runny ass?
Well...I have screamed at more than one Interlux can of flag blue failure... it didn't help.

It just stared coldly back (it's a paint can after all), daring me to give up and accept an amateur looking hack job.

I painted her three times and sanded it all off three times before I got it right you know...
Old 08-04-2012

MattSplatt is on a distinguished road

Preparation, preparation, preparation. ;-)

So *that's* how you got the surface so smooth!
chrisncate likes this.
Old 08-04-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

One thing I have not heard discussed is will a new gelcoat applied over long time cured GRP be at risk of peeling off.

After all perceived wisdom is that polyester resin does not 'stick' well to cured GRP and this is the reason that epoxy is preferred for GRP repair work.

So might it peel? Just asking.
Old 08-04-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

I have to say in all honesty i spray well enough to get paid

1. PPG DCC Concept automotive is the only stuff i ever used that had well defined instructions that were correct in pretty much every aspect

Most auto stuff has a large selection of clearly defined reducers for the spraying conditions that take a LOT of the Voodoo out of it

2. Does Perfection work yes BUT don't even get me started about the BS they put me through during the white recall

3. Awlgrip rolls & tips nicely BUT its still Voodoo because your working outdoors in and ever changing environment with a paint that lives or dies on a 5 degree temperature change that you had not put in enough reducer to cover

4.There is NOT enough money in the world to get me to shoot more than bicycle quantity of anything but 545 primer without full blown top to bottom safety gear

All of this stuff paint or gelcoat when sprayed in large amounts will KILL YOU with a minor respirator screw-up PERIOD

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-15-2014

sulli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
See, this is what i don't get. show me the savings in material cost to prove out your theory.

According to Evercote, you get 50 sq ft. per gallon at 20 mils

http://www.evercoat.com/imgs/pis/GELCOAT.pdf

Whereas you get over 10 times as much coverage with Interlux perfection
Interlux Paint Coverage Chart

So, a cat with 2 16' x 2' x 1' hulls is 192 sq ft of surface to cover. 4 gallons of gelcoat or less than one gallon of paint.
I have been trying to figure whether to re-gel or paint my p-30. I'm retired so time is free and I enjoy working on something. The cost is what staggers me on awlgrip so unless I got it wrong a gallon of 545, gallon of converter for it a gallon top coat, converter for it then the thinners and so on the order was over $700 and climbing. On the other side of the equation 2 gallons of gel coat and related additives, thinners $150-200. I own an air powered wet sander which will help speed it along. I spoke with the kid who does it professionally at our yard he said while his boss will do both for a customer he jokes with awlgrip we'll see him again in a few years. As to touchup on awlgrip forget about it, gel retouches nicely. I believe Jamestown's figures on the paint are per coat with at least 2 coats that thin required so at least double maybe triple the paint estimate.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.