Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012

rackham the red is on a distinguished road
changing to folding props

Can anyone weigh in on folding props. I am considering changing my props to folding ones. Any ideas? Does anyone know a prop supplier who can actually provide support so I don't end up over revving my engines?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: changing to folding props

Engines, as in more than 1? What kind of sailing are you doing? A lot of racing or more cruising, daysailing? I wouldn't bother unless you're doing at least some racing.
A folder will help your speed, especially in light air. The sacrifice is less reverse, less drive in big waves (especially compared to a 3 blade).
I went from a fixed 2 blade to a Martec several years ago. Speed better under sail, don't really mind the downside mentioned above. In heavy weather I prefer to sail rather than motor anyway.
Marten can recommend size and pitch so your engine will run at right rpm.
A feathering prop is best all around solution but probably twice the money.
Old 07-28-2012

rackham the red is on a distinguished road

Thanks. No racing lots of cruising. I prefer not to use the iron Genoa. I am looking at folding props but before I jumped off and spent the bank I really wanted some input.

Thank you.
Telesail likes this.
Old 07-28-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We have a Max Prop from PYI. It is a feathering, not folding prop, but serves the same purpose. Reduce drag when sailing. Even cruising, that extra half knot or so can make a big difference over time.

Personally, I prefer feathering and I've had great experience with Max Prop. It's built like a tank and, as pointed out, will perform better in reverse around the dock. Last year, I must have hit something submerged and nicked the leading edge of one blade. I shipped it to the factory and it came back looking brand new.

The newest models, which I do not have, are even better. You can adjust pitch from outside, without opening the gears. They will help you with the correct initial setting, but sometimes a degree or two flatter or steeper can be better for the motoring you do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-28-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road

I noticed a mis-spelling in my post above. The brand is Martec, not Marten. Again, if not racing, I'd spend the money somewhere else (new sail?)
Old 07-28-2012

tommays will become famous soon enough

First and the test data supports it reverse is fine and in my case MUCH BETTER over the fixed 2 blade 12 X 8

It works better because you can have a blade design that does NOT have to comprise blade shape VS drag which is a factor in fixed sailboat props

I do a race and the old 12 X 8 fixed was so small anyway i am hard pressed to say anything was really better with the exception of REVERSE which is now vastly better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 07-28-2012

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackham the red View Post
Can anyone weigh in on folding props. I am considering changing my props to folding ones. Any ideas? Does anyone know a prop supplier who can actually provide support so I don't end up over revving my engines?

Thanks
Folding props? Engines? Multiple? You have more than one prop and engine? What kind of boat are we talking about?

If you're racing a folding prop is pretty much a necessity. They'll give you time for a fixed prop, but it won't be enough in light air. This I know from experience.

If you're day sailing I wouldn't bother, unless you've money to burn and/or you really want to get the most out of the boat just because you can.

If you're a cruiser I'd think twice. Yes, it will help performance--otherwise racers wouldn't use them. But they introduce complications and another point of failure. Many cruisers spend a lot of time motoring, and some of that time is because conditions are too adverse for sailing. Not a good time for prop misbehaviour. Many cruisers also spend a lot of time maneuvering in unfamiliar anchorages and marinas. Again: Not good times for prop shenanigans. Many cruisers go with feathering props, rather than folding, or stick with fixed props.

The prop companies will recommend a prop (or props) for your boat, depending upon boat, engine(s), etc. I just had both Gori and Flexofold spec props out for Abracadabra.

For a folding prop I'd go with Gori, I think. For a feathering prop: The Max-Prop is pretty much regarded as the best, but a lot of cruising sailors swear by the Kiwi.

We race and day-sail. Some day we hope to cruise. We had a Martec on the boat, but were not pleased with it, so the fixed prop is currently fitted. Next spring I hope to put a Gori on. We were considering a feathering prop, but our normal sailing grounds are very weedy, and one of the advantages of a folding prop is less snagging of things in the water.

Jim
Old 07-28-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Ditto MaxProp from PYI, first class gear and service and without compare.
Old 07-28-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I am a big fan of the Martec folding props having had quite a few of them and found them simple, reliable and not dependent on wildly expensive proprietary zincs.

Gori is the worst prop I have ever experienced. I would never own another Gori. While beautifully machined and cleverly designed, they have an absurdly high failure rate, require wildly expensive proprietary zincs when used with a sail drive, and have miserable, bordering on non-existent product support.

My understanding is that Flex-o-fold has similar issues, but that came to me second hand and was only based on one owner and his description of other owner's with similar problems.

I like feathering props in a lot of ways, but they require more maintenance and often rely on proprietary zincs as well.

I assume the OP's plural on 'props' means that this is a catamarran and so may also have out drives, potentially making prop choices way more limited.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 07-28-2012
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Gori is the worst prop I have ever experienced. ...they have an absurdly high failure rate.
Please describe these alleged "failures." I have never heard of a problem with Gori products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
My understanding is that Flex-o-fold has similar issues.
Again, I have never heard of any issues with Flex-O-Fold. Both these products are robust, well-engineered pieces of equipment, IMHO.

You sound like a guy with an ax to grind.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.