SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

trolling motor

989 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Bruce_L 
#1 ·
I just got an 18 foot boat to begin my sailing adventures. I plan on being in lakes here in southern California. With regulations against some of the small motors, I was wondering how a trolling motor with a 30 pound thrust would perform for leaving the ramp/dock. Anybody with experience or advice?

#2 ·
On Tom's River in NJ there are a number of rental boats up to about 22' that have electric trolling motors on them. I've seen them heading back to the marina several times and was impressed with the speed they make. I've though that if my diesel dies I am going to just stick one on my 26' so I can at least get in and out of the marina.

Gary H. Lucas

#3 ·
I had a 45 lb thrust on my fishing boat. If you have a big battery it will get you away from the ramp in calm conditions. I think mine was rated for full thrust for about an hour or so with a group 27 battery ingood shape. You may struggle against the wind or chop. Suggest you sail up wind after leaving the ramp.:D

Paul T

#4 ·
Your in luck, since you will be on a lake in freshwater. You have a lot of choices and fresh water motors cost much less too. Since you will be using it for a short run I would not worry too much about battery capacity. You do need to consider will you have enough thrust on the prop to get you home to the dock if it is windy at the end of your sailing day. The wind on a hull with no sails up is a considerable force to overcome. I'd get at least a 45-55 motor for sure. Look at the Endura Series motors, they have two shaft lengths available as well.
Good luck,Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.