SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   Rudder repair Edel 22 (

i_amcdn 07-28-2012 10:26 PM

Rudder repair Edel 22
3 Attachment(s)
My "to do" list gets longer I think. Discovered this opening on the leading edge of the rudder where the post goes into it. It turns smoothly, doesn't have any lateral movement.\
What do I do to fill the crack?

i_amcdn 08-03-2012 11:49 PM

Re: Rudder repair Edel 22

Any thoughts?

billsull 08-05-2012 11:18 PM

I'd be concerned with water intrusion with a split that long. The short term fix would involve grinding out the crack, fill with something like West System Epoxy and 403 filler. You might want to try that first and sail it for awhile to see if the crack opens up again. That would confirm that there is internal separation and a rudder rebuild is in order.

Epoxyworks has a pretty good description of the options.
Rudder repair

Good luck - I'm feeling your pain as the to do list gets longer and the summer gets shorter!

rigg 03-27-2015 03:16 PM

Re: How to remove a rudder - Edel 665
Could some explain how to remove the rudder from and Edel 665 boat

gbgreen59 03-27-2015 03:41 PM

I rebuilt my rudder over the winter using methods outlined in a video sequence provided by BoatWorksToday. I started the project due to water seeping from a hole at the bottom of the rudder after hauling out. At first, I thought the seams might be leaking as there was cracking along the seems. After grinding around a bit, I found the seems were in good shape, but there was just some superficial cracking at the seams. However, the cracking was not nearly as pronounced as shown in pictures provided by the OP. I ground out a V-shape along the seam. Then I glassed it used several layers of 6 oz cloth in successively wider strips.

As an aside, the leaks in my rudder were at the joints where the stainless steel post exits the fiberglass shell. To fix this, I went through a similar exercise of grinding out a V-shape. Then I filled the v-shape with cloth and resin.

I guess time will tell how good my job was. I'll be keeping watch on it.

celenoglu 03-27-2015 03:53 PM

A new rudder or proper repair is needed. This seems structural. A "V" opening and repair will not suffice.

JimsCAL 03-28-2015 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by rigg (Post 2671578)

Note that this this thread is almost 3 years old. The above is the "new" question. It would have been better to start a new thread rather than add on to an old one.

As to the question, is there a tiller or a wheel? If the first, the job is easier. Support the rudder, remove the fitting at the top of the rudder post, and drop the rudder. If the later, it will involve crawling inside to remove the quadrant before you can drop the rudder. Note you may have to dig a hole to allow the rudder to drop far enough for the post to clear the bottom of the rudder post tube.

Was98strat 03-28-2015 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by rigg (Post 2671578)

Removing the rudder dr from an edel 665 is easy. Just unbolt the tiller head and collar right below it. The rudder will drop right put. I had the same problem with the rudder on my edel. I removed it for the winter and hung it stock down in my furnace room for the whole winter. It dried out reall well. In the spring I found out the crack and then used 3 layers of fiberglass cloth tape to reinforce the joint. Then I faired it back up and barrier coated it and reinstalled.