Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2012

nolesailor is on a distinguished road
Marine Head Issues

Hello all,

I have spent considerable time reading all the marine head threads and responses posted here and in other forums, so I know this is a well-addressed topic. However, I did come across a situation quite similar to ours, so I figured I would give it a shot here...

We have a Jabsco Compact manual head (I am well-aware of the sentiments regarding them). Within the last 1-2 months, we have been unable to pump raw water into the bowl...and have just been using the sink water...seemed to work fine. We are now beginning to encounter bowl discharge issues. Within the last month or so, we have had trouble pumping the bowl dry, with increased resistance on the handle, to the point where it would not go down. A pump out appeared to correct this issue.

It seems we have a slightly different problem now...we are unable to empty the bowl, but the handle does not encounter any resistance when trying to empty the bowl...we keep pumping but nothing seems to happen. As there does not seem to be in resistance/pressure building would this be an issue with the pump? I am hoping against all odds that it is not a clog somewhere in the hose. We got down to the boat this weekend, and there was some backflow into the toilet, which we were able to pump out into the tank, albeit slowly. The next time it was used, the water would not pump out, despite pumping the handle. No resistance on the handle, just not going down...

I have not checked the tank vent for obstructions yet, and will do so this weekend. Any thoughts/suggestions, etc, would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2012

chuck53 is on a distinguished road
Re: Marine Head Issues

Just about all the major head manufacturers offer rebuild kits. You're probably past due for a rebuild. Buy the kit, replace all the parts in the kit and chances are good you won't have any problems for several more years.
As far as water intake, that may be another matter all together. Check your water intake thru hull and the hose between it and the head. You may have some kind of obstruction.
Old 07-30-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Pull the joker valve out and see if you inverted it when pumping against the full tank. Buy 2 replacement ones before you open it up anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2012

nolesailor is on a distinguished road

I agree that I am likley due for a rebuild. I'm planning on replacing with a new pump assembly, rather than rebuilding, as it is my understanding that the pump assembly would include a new valves, etc., including a joker valve...if this is the case, seems easier than rebuilding with only slightly more cost...

I also plan on checking the through hull and intake hose for an obstruction...could a clogged/faulty pump causes issues with intake water, or would this primarily be an issue with an obstruction between through hull and head itself?

Thanks again for all replies...
Old 07-30-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

When you say that you can't get raw water into the bowl, does the pump feel really stiff, or does the handle move up and down just fine but no water gets pumped? If the problem is the former, you have an obstruction of some sort. Close the raw water thru hull and take off the hose, then pump. If the pump is still stiff (not likely), the hose or the pump itself is clogged. If not, the obstruction is in the thru hull or valve. Open the valve and try unclogging it with a piece of wire (coat-hanger, et cetera). If things flow freely it will seem like a lot of water is coming into the boat, but it will really be just a gallon or two (probably less). If you try sticking the wire into the valve/seacock and it feels like you're just hitting metal, you probably need a new valve/seacock (this happened to my boat; replaced the ball valve and everything was golden). If there is marine growth, or paint, or flotsam clogging the thru hull you should be able to unclog it with the wire.

If the head pump doesn't feel stiff, and no raw water is getting into the tank, the problem is probably the little flapper valve(s) inside the pump. As I recall, these flappers are part of a larger gasket assembly. Rebuild the pump and you'll be golden.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 07-30-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Forget replacing the pump kit. Replace the whole head. Cheapest, Jabsco manual for about $150.00. 4 bolts, a couple of hose clamps and your done. No shyyte on your fingers or breath.
Old 07-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I had a boat yard mechanic say to me once, "if you repair your head, the value of your labor must be very low". They would never agree to work on your head, replace gaskets, etc. They would only agree to cut it out and replace the whole thing.

At boat yard rates, that probably makes sense. By the time you mess around with the crazy contorted angles that it takes to get screws out (not to mention back in again) and pull jocker valves, or pump assemblies, you would likely pay a boat yard more than the thing is worth.

For your own time, that may be different. But, from a guy that has done my fair share of rebuilds, fixes and maintenance, I'm becoming a believer in that mechanic's advice. My next go around may be a full replacement and upgrade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-30-2012

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road

You came here looking for help because you don't know how a marine head operates. How about rebuilding it so that in addition to getting it working this time, you get an education that may help you get it working when it fails again?

Gary H. Lucas
bristol299bob and olddog60 like this.
Old 07-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
You came here looking for help because you don't know how a marine head operates. How about rebuilding it so that in addition to getting it working this time, you get an education that may help you get it working when it fails again?

Gary H. Lucas
That's pretty good advice. Everyone needs to do it once. Right of passage too, I suppose.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-31-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska:903288
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post

Gary H. Lucas
That's pretty good advice. Everyone needs to do it once. Right of passage too, I suppose.
As you and I have posted before, the cost of a Jabsco rebuild kit is nearly a 100 bucks, for a few dollars more, you get a new head complete with an easy re and re, minus all the aggravation. An education doesn't need to be painful.