Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Re: Yellow ground safety wire

I tend towards Dave's explaination of wire vs cable. But, that comes from years of wiring electical controls on machinery.

Multistrand wire is still a single conductor. All of the strands in the wire are not insulated from each other, therefore acting as a single conductor.

Donna, in the end you can follow ABYC standards and be just fine for your boat wiring projects. Keep in mind if you are rewiring the manufacturer or PO may not have followed any standard or one of thier own design. As mentioned earlier in this thread label everything. If you are not sure what a wire does, ring it out (use your multimeter to test for continuity; this usually has an audible tone when it is part of the same circut).
SVAuspicious likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Thanks nickmerc.

I like to have a reference I can reach for when I'm not online and also something I can pass on to my students. I feel like I'm moving onto the next step on the ladder and I'm starting to know just enough to ask semi-coherent questions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-03-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

"Is this like the age-old line vs. rope argument?"
You've probably hit the nail on the head with that one.

There are all sorts of standards. We know a North Wind blows from the north, but what's a "northerly" wind? One that is blowing TO or FROM the north? Well, that depends on who you ask. Hell, you can't even get boat electricians to agree on whether fittings on a boat should be bonded, or connected to a ground bus, or simply isolated. Depends on whether their goal is to prevent galvanic problems, fool lightning, or sell new parts apparently.

The bottom line is often "what's in stock?" and "what can I afford?" and if "proper" wiring schemes call for ten colors of wire but your budget says you only need 5 spools...compromises get made. As a recreational boater, you don't have to comply with the same specs as commercial builders. And if you use plenty of wire tags and leave schematics, even pencil drawn ones, the colors aren't quite as critical.
Old 08-03-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I downloaded the ABYC electrical standards. But it appears that the ABYC standards differ from the rest of the US standards? Am I correct? And, it appears that the two of you are using the same name for two different things (i.e., wire). Confusing. Is this like the age-old line vs. rope argument?
The colloquial "cable" is a British leftover rarely used in North America to describe "wire". Cable is generally manufactured by combining twisted pairs of metal wire, IE winch cable, battery cable etc. Wire usually is either a single wire ore twisted combination of wire. Big or small is not the issue as there exists 1" wire and 1/32" cable. Over the years the word basically means the same thing; EG loggers in the PNW still say they're going to string a haulback wire to the backside of the show, when in fact it's quite a large cable.

Quote:
Is there a single resource that you can recommend that I add to my boating library?
You can purchase the manual for $65, but is just more ballast. Here's the basics.
ABYC Wiring Standards
Old 08-03-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

DR-
For extra credit, explain the difference between a hero, submarine, grinder, hoagie, and "footlong". And which of those would never be sold with a soda, pop, or tonic.
Old 08-03-2012
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
DR-
For extra credit, explain the difference between a hero, submarine, grinder, hoagie, and "footlong". And which of those would never be sold with a soda, pop, or tonic.
I hear ya.

I teach an auxiliary classroom course. Very basic stuff. But there is usually one or two who have done their research and know what type of sailing they eventually want to do so when they read our book, they have more advanced questions. If I can't answer it myself to the depth they need, I like to point them to a source. I keep a notebook with the info I gather that I can refer to when the time comes.

Plus, I'm starting to think about the Next Boat so this is all interesting to me regardless.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 08-03-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
can you help me out here?
This is an issue much more fundamental than you are likely to find in the ABYC standards, even in the glossary.

Vocabulary is important.

Certainly there are cultural issues (like napkins, nappies, and serviettes). This isn't one of those.

There are also considerations of slang that aren't so easily categorized, like calling really big wire for batteries "cable" that are a result of misunderstanding. One can spend a lot of time talking about whether 'presently' and 'currently' are synonyms or not.

In engineering, (power, electrical, power, et al) the definition of "cable" is very clear and it has nothing to do with wire size. Similarly in mechanical engineering cable is well defined. I learned it in school and it was clear. It has been clear in contractual language since. Do people get sloppy and use words inappropriately? Sure. That still doesn't make it right.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 08-03-2012
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
This is an issue much more fundamental than you are likely to find in the ABYC standards, even in the glossary.

Vocabulary is important.

Precisely why I'd like some kind of standard reference. I realize the ABYC standard is for boats.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 08-03-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.