Shore power line "sticky" - SailNet Community
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-31-2012 Thread Starter
Shore power line "sticky"

Our shore power line feels "sticky"....

It's not a problem we are losing sleep over but it's on the list of boat chores.

I assume it's the rubberized jacket degrading from being in the sun and we'll have to hand clean it.

Anyone else notice this condition ?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 Old 07-31-2012
Senior Cruiser
Once the outer insulation has become sticky, the cable is degrading and there's no "cleaning" it off. Live with it, or buy a new one. Some say the new grey ones don't degrade as fast, but I'm not so sure.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-31-2012
Irrationally Exuberant
Re: Shore power line "sticky"

I tried most everything on our sticky power cable with little effect. One winter though I started just scraping the sticky part off using a straight edge and then cleaned it up with a 3M pad. It's not as yellow as it was, but it isn't sticky. We don't leave our cable out anymore--solar takes care of the batteries generally--but when I do haul it out it doesn't leave marks all over the boat like it used to.

Tom K

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
post #4 of 5 Old 07-31-2012

I got a spare power cord for free, but it was pretty ugly. I had success cleaning it with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Not like new when I was done, but much better.

I'd say the 50' cord took about 15 or 20 minutes. Good job for the shade. Probably used two eraser pads to complete.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-31-2012

The rubber on most shore power electric cables is PVC.
When molded, they add compounds to 'help' with the 'flow' of the molten PVC in the molding/extrusion process .... mostly di-octylphtalate, etc. These sticky compounds that come to the surface of flexible PVC are soluble in light weight mineral oil (WD40, PB Blaster, kerosene, diesel oil, etc.)
Rx.: take a cloth rag, soak with PB, etc., coat/wipe the 'sticky' with the 'oil', let soak for a time, wipe the cable with a dry rag; .... may need to repeat but the longer you soak the better the removal. One to two years later, do it all over again, etc.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.