SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   ST80 Shows No Difference Between True/ Apparent Wind (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/90427-st80-shows-no-difference-between-true-apparent-wind.html)

OffshoreDreamer 08-02-2012 02:42 PM

ST80 Shows No Difference Between True/ Apparent Wind

I have an older ST80 analog wind tranducer and display head. I recently had the mast pulled out for some work. Ever since then True and Apparent always shows the same speed. Suggestions anyone?

Vasco 08-02-2012 02:49 PM

Re: ST80 Shows No Difference Between True/ Apparent Wind

Were you moving? :) But seriously, are all the connectors good and tight.

Tempest 08-02-2012 02:49 PM

Doesn't it have to be connected to your knotmeter?

hellosailor 08-02-2012 03:50 PM

Yeah, someone screwed the wiring. And it does need knotmeter input to calculate the difference in the TWS/AWS. Look for a broken wire. if you are lucky, it is not IN the mast but somewhere in the cabin. If nothing is obvious, you'll need a schematic and multimeter to pin it out.

Or a call to Raymawhosis, whatever their name is this year. Amazing, you can call toll-free tech support, from a boat, without paying $4/minute to the High Seas Operator.

Tempest 08-02-2012 03:59 PM

I don't know...but is this model pre-seatalk? Anyway, it sounds like someone disconnected the wire or connection to your knotmeter when they removed the mast and didn't replace it. I'd look for a dangling wire behind the unit display..it might be right there or if you have a junction box ( block) near the mast..where the wires connect when they enter the cabin.

Tim R. 08-02-2012 04:22 PM

I agree that something was not properly re-connected. Most problems like this are traced back to the last thing that changed. Very elementary troubleshooting procedure.

Related query.

Shouldn't the instrument use SOG and COG to get an accurate true wind speed and direction? Your knotmeter is affected by current which has no relevance on true wind calculations.

Do any of the manufacturers do this? I am not aware of any.

tommays 08-02-2012 05:13 PM

Ockum has the most functions around 48 or more on the classic units called up by card you slip on the display face

Most of which we never used as there various obscure pieces of info somebody enabled the CPU to output and even theirs uses the knot meter to do the true/apparent wind

It was just replaced and the Raymarine does the same thing with true/apparent wind

Gladrags1 08-03-2012 07:47 AM

ST80 Shows No Difference Between True/ Apparent Wind

Are your other instruments Raymarine? Usually Raymarine instruments are daisy chained together using their seatalk connectors. They also have transducer connectors on the back of the units. For the wind speed unit to be functioning properly the seatalk must be connected and the other instruments (particularly the knot meter) talking with each other. However, with your issue starting when the mast was pulled, it seems most likely that the problem originated at the connection point for the mast wiring.

How about the functions of the wind speed meter? You getting wind direction readings? Your knot meter paddle wheel clean and functioning? If your knot meter is other than a Raymarine, maybe they aren't communicating properly via nmea 0183. Some things to consider.

noelex77 08-03-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treilley (Post 904577)
I agree that something was not properly re-connected. Most problems like this are traced back to the last thing that changed. Very elementary troubleshooting procedure.

Related query.

Shouldn't the instrument use SOG and COG to get an accurate true wind speed and direction? Your knotmeter is affected by current which has no relevance on true wind calculations.

Do any of the manufacturers do this? I am not aware of any.

There are two different types of true wind. I prefer true wind calculated from the gps (sometimes called ground wind). The Raymarine st60 etc will not display this only "true wind" derived from the knotmeter.
More sophisticated systems such as from B&G will display either.