SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Hi Output Altrntrs and Regs

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I am in the process of upgrading the Main Engine charging system on Pelican, (Morgan 462) and am trying to decide between Balmar ($450) and PowerTap (Ample Power $300) Alternators, and Balmar Max Charge ($265) and Xantrex Max Charge 12 step ($250 - Heart''s new owner) Regulators- The system now has a Xantrex Link 20 and a 100/2 Pathmaker....

#2 ·
IMHO, difference between Balmar and Ample Power is like comparing Florida to California sunshine, both companies are excellent choices. That said, I have been very happy with Balmar as I have owned both a single and a dual alternator manufactured by them and also have had two of their voltage regulators the last of which is a 512.

Personally I would stay away from Xantrex until that shake up settles down and the new products are around to stand the test of time.

Capt Bruce
boatskipper.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.