Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 02-11-2004

lauralee is on a distinguished road
Cetol Vs Honey Teak

Has anyone heard of Penofin? It''s a marine finish that blocks 99% of UV rays. I am thinking of trying it on a swim platform. Anybody know anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2004

newuser is on a distinguished road
Cetol Vs Honey Teak

The proper way to assure yourself of a finish that lasts is to completly seal the wood (almost impossible) yes that means every edge and or surface. Other than droping something like a winch handle,or wearing cleats onboard the most likely place for your finish to lift is where you attach it to the vessel. very few people go to this lenght to finish a brightwork area,(I don''t) I would rather sail than have a museum piece)so the shortcut is to tape off the deck and carefully cut around the piece in question.perhaps it would be extreme but if you drilled out the screw holes a bit and filled them with epoxy then finished the wood,rebed it and reattach to vessel the finish would not fail other than the uv problem. I suppose someone will have to invent plastic teak that doesn''t deteriorate.
Old 02-17-2004
Mr. Bill

e-27 sailor is on a distinguished road
Cetol Vs Honey Teak

Thank kend & All, I think you''re right about sealing every edge. The problem of coures is getting thing off intact, removing the bedding, epoxy/varnish, and then re-bed. But since I''m starting from scratch with new teak, hopefully I can do the job right, the 1st time.

I''m still struggling with how to drill the holes through the hand rails for the thru-bolts, without a drill press. I''ll probably need to pay someone. After that, I think it''s a simple matter of installing the bolts, epoxy them in, add the caps and expoxy everthing. I''ll be curious to see how easy the old handrails come off.
Old 02-18-2004

newuser is on a distinguished road
Cetol Vs Honey Teak

e-27
There used to be a tool that attached to a drill called a portalign,it''s function was to allow a person to drill a hole perpendicular to the plane it was set on,Ideal for drilling on round surfaces. Unless you are filling all the old holes and attaching the rail somewhere other than the original spot you can mark holes from old piece and drill. Also a side note since you are pulling the old ones off, and more than likely putting them in the same place, take the time to drill a larger hole where the bolts came thru and epoxy them then redrill the proper size hole for the bolt this will also keep moisture from entering your hull.by the way you can buy an inexpensive bench type drill press or a base for your drill for less than fifty dollars. good luck with your project.
Old 02-18-2004

wheelerbrian is on a distinguished road
Cetol Vs Honey Teak

On Cetol, I initially like the finish and really liked easy maintenance. But after 5 years of application to the letter of the instructions, the finished teak noticablely darkened, alot, and areas that needed repair would not match at all. Then it all started peeling off -- as water got under scratches, etc.
In retrospect, I think putting the gloss finish on top of the light version would be a way to go to prevent buildup. Fortunately, I sold the boat, so that''s someone elses project. My new (to me) boat has varnish on the teak, so I think I''ll go with that for the time being and see how it goes, and if technology ever triumphs over weather and sun, and wear and tear, then I''ll rethink it.
Old 07-02-2014

sati8d is on a distinguished road
Re: Cetol Vs Honey Teak

Interesting topic as I've used both.
I had cetol on my last boat and it didn't last 20 days at sea - the salt cooked on from the trans-At chewed right threw it....which was fine and I went grey for the rest of the 3-yr cruise.
Since, I bought a boat with WAY too much teak on it - Shannon 43 Ketch - that had honey teak on it. I've been trying it and I can see why the previous owner used it sailing in Maine and NS. Down here on the Chesapeake is a lot more sun but the literature says it will last 3-5 yrs with minor maintenance...I'll believe that when I see it.
So far, it's easy to use - damn expensive, but does go a long way.
I really like the epoxy varnish idea...if I ever want to spend a month of stripping and revarnishing....NOT!! I bought this boat to cruise and sail...not yachtify it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.