Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Could you cobble up a windlass out off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I've always built my own anchor winches, and have built them for friends, who have given up on the commercially made ones, after serious corrosion from their mixing an aluminium housing with a bronze gypsy, and a stainless shaft with mild steel keys ,aluminium drum, etc etc. None of mine has ever failed, in decades of use. I use all stainless, a wide open design, with no hidden parts.
Friends who spent a winter in the South Pacific, said they never met anyone down there who didn't have problems with commercially made anchor winches. You are far better off to weld up your own anchor winch. You'd get a far better product.
Thanks for chiming in Brent! Your doing what I was thinking!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road

It has crossed my mind more than a few times. Marine windlass $2000.00 HF winch $200.00. it can't be THAT complicated.
Old 08-05-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I've always built my own anchor winches, and have built them for friends, who have given up on the commercially made ones, after serious corrosion from their mixing an aluminium housing with a bronze gypsy, and a stainless shaft with mild steel keys ,aluminium drum, etc etc. None of mine has ever failed, in decades of use. I use all stainless, a wide open design, with no hidden parts.
Friends who spent a winter in the South Pacific, said they never met anyone down there who didn't have problems with commercially made anchor winches. You are far better off to weld up your own anchor winch. You'd get a far better product.

Are the plans in your books? I had to abandon the wood-stove idea for my boat(insurance :-()
The Anchorlift winch is my first choice right now, there's a choice of all aluminium, or stainless. Building my own, or getting one made by a person I can actually talk to has a lot of appeal.

Anchorlift USA Dolphin Windlass with Capstan- Stainless from Wholesale Marine

Is one I was looking at, I've seen them as low as 660$ on ebay.

That doesn't leave a lot of room for cost savings in building my own IMO.
So I would look at building one from the idea of making a better one(like Brent's) vs making one for less, which usually doesn't work out as well as planned.
Old 08-06-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Here's mine. Made from a 1940's vintage aircraft starter motor - of all things:

Could you cobble up a windlass out off...-dsc00078.jpg

Could you cobble up a windlass out off...-dsc00123.jpg

An incredibly heavy and powerful beastie (the bronze gypsy alone weighs +20kgs), now removed from the boat for the safety of all who sail on her...

Last edited by Classic30; 08-06-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-06-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

woooo too much torque? Love the boat!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgbrown View Post
Are the plans in your books? I had to abandon the wood-stove idea for my boat(insurance :-()
The Anchorlift winch is my first choice right now, there's a choice of all aluminium, or stainless. Building my own, or getting one made by a person I can actually talk to has a lot of appeal.

Anchorlift USA Dolphin Windlass with Capstan- Stainless from Wholesale Marine

Is one I was looking at, I've seen them as low as 660$ on ebay.

That doesn't leave a lot of room for cost savings in building my own IMO.
So I would look at building one from the idea of making a better one(like Brent's) vs making one for less, which usually doesn't work out as well as planned.
Yes the plans are in my book. It's a drum winch, with the drum holding 500 feet of half inch nylon and some chain, similar to the ones used universally on commercial fish boats here. Some use more chain and less line.
A gypsy version wouldn't be hard to build. Some clients have put a hydraulic drive on theirs, with good results.
A friend always puts a Char Lyne hydraulic motor below decks with a vertical drum on deck. He drives it with a power steering pump , belt driven by the engine. He has a lever he reaches thru the main hatch for, and puts a bit of tension on the belt, then hooks it in. This leaves the drum turning. He then walks to the foredeck, and takes a few turns of chain or line anchor rode around the constantly turning drum, and pulls his anchor aboard. Then he walks back to the cockpit , reaches thru the hatch, and releases the pump, The drum was turning the whole time, since he left the cockpit. Extremely simple.
Old 08-09-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
woooo too much torque? Love the boat!
Yup. Thanks Denise!

Tags
migiverisms