Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-05-2012

Shinook is on a distinguished road
CD27 outboard selection

Hey folks,

We just recently came into possession of a Cape Dory 27 in need of much TLC. The core components are in good shape (hull, deck, rigging, etc), but much work needs to be done cosmetically and with some functional components.

The unfortunate component that is just out of life is the diesel engine and it's been removed completely. I've priced out getting a new diesel installed, but it appears that basically the entire system would need to be replaced (fuel tank, lines, water supply, etc) and it's going to be a huge work item that I'd rather address once the boat is home. There are also financial issues that limit me from wanting to spend more money on a motor than we did on the boat itself, until we get her into condition that would warrant such.

In the meantime, we were planning on mounting an outboard to get us home and until we can afford to get a new inboard and have the time to invest in doing it right.

We installed a Fulton motor mount that seemed pretty solid, but I am currently without a motor. The mount indicates it'll hold up to 110lbs or a 2-stroke 10 HP. Some reading I've been doing has begun to cast doubt on whether or not a suitable motor will work for us.

I've been looking at 8-10hp motors, ideally a Tohatsu 9.8 for it's weight (<60lbs on a 2 stroke). Is it unreasonable to expect that motor to push us along? We will be sailing the boat home from North to Central FL along the ICW. I am primarily going to be using the motor for getting in/out of slips and operating in no-wind situations. The formula I've been told is 2hp per ton, which we meet with a 10hp, but I worry about it's ability to operate in any level of wind/currents.

Also, the mount appears to sit fairly flush with the transom and work fine. The transom seems to be fairly thick fiberglass when we drilled it (I cried a little inside), but I don't want to risk cracking or damaging the hull. Is this a concern and would adding some sort of plate in the transom prevent it? We don't have a motor yet, so adding something would be a no brainer at this point.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook