Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best leaking engine quote ever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Careful there, SJB --- you're gonna talk me out of rebuilding my 4.108
Wait, on that rebuild, at least it gives us something collectively to agree on and moan about...

As far as oil collecting devices go, what do you reckon is better? pampers, huggies or the pizza box?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2012

Bob142 is on a distinguished road

You missed the other reason they didn't make computers.....The couldn't figure out how to make them vibrate....

Any storm in a port...
Old 08-08-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob142 View Post
You missed the other reason they didn't make computers.....The couldn't figure out how to make them vibrate....
But they did!

Quote:
Charles Babbage, FRS (26 December 1791 – 18 October 1871)[1] was an English mathematician, philosopher, inventor and mechanical engineer who originated the concept of a programmable computer.[2] Considered a "father of the computer",[3] Babbage is credited with inventing the first mechanical computer that eventually led to more complex designs.[4]

Parts of his uncompleted mechanisms are on display in the London Science Museum. In 1991, a perfectly functioning difference engine was constructed from Babbage's original plans. Built to tolerances achievable in the 19th century, the success of the finished engine indicated that Babbage's machine would have worked. Nine years later, the Science Museum completed the printer Babbage had designed for the difference engine
Might have dripped oil and vibrated though

AND
Quote:
Alan Mathison Turing, OBE, FRS ( /ˈtjʊərɪŋ/ TEWR-ing; 23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954), was a British mathematician, logician, cryptanalyst, and computer scientist. He was highly influential in the development of computer science, giving a formalisation of the concepts of "algorithm" and "computation" with the Turing machine, which can be considered a model of a general purpose computer.[1][2][3] Turing is widely considered to be the father of computer science and artificial intelligence.[4]
Within weeks of arriving at Bletchley Park,[33] Turing had specified an electromechanical machine that could help break Enigma more effectively than the Polish bomba kryptologiczna, from which its name was derived. The bombe, with an enhancement suggested by mathematician Gordon Welchman, became one of the primary tools, and the major automated one, used to attack Enigma-enciphered messages.

Jack Good opined:

Turing's most important contribution, I think, was of part of the design of the bombe, the cryptanalytic machine. He had the idea that you could use, in effect, a theorem in logic which sounds to the untrained ear rather absurd; namely that from a contradiction, you can deduce everything.[43]

The bombe searched for possible correct settings used for an Enigma message (i.e. rotor order, rotor settings and plugboard settings), using a suitable crib: a fragment of probable plaintext. For each possible setting of the rotors (which had of the order of 1019 states, or 1022 for the four-rotor U-boat variant),[44] the bombe performed a chain of logical deductions based on the crib, implemented electrically. The bombe detected when a contradiction had occurred, and ruled out that setting, moving on to the next. Most of the possible settings would cause contradictions and be discarded, leaving only a few to be investigated in detail. The first bombe was installed on 18 March 1940.[45] More than two hundred bombes were in operation by the end of the war.[46]
AND of course The Manchester Baby
Quote:
The Manchester Small-Scale Experimental Machine (SSEM), nicknamed Baby, was the world's first stored-program computer. It was built at the Victoria University of Manchester by Frederic C. Williams, Tom Kilburn and Geoff Tootill, and ran its first program on 21 June 1948.[1]
Old 08-08-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Thankfully my XJS was built in 1990 when the Ford improvements had started to kick in, so the crankshaft end seal had been changed to a proper shaft seal. Older engines had a rope end seal that leaked like a sieve. My Series III XJ with the XK engine had one, and did indeed leak like crazy. My XJS has also been fitting with newer valley pan gaskets, and new top cover gaskets so might have been the only oil-tight XJS.

Don't know what the Perkins had, but if it has rope seals you won't stop them leaking.

I have heard though that rope seals are the only thing that those snake oil leak stoppers actually work on, by swelling up the rope.
Old 08-08-2012

pinayreefer is on a distinguished road

I don't know if it has rope seals but I can vouch for my '77 Westerbeke 40 (a Perkins) having leaking shaft seals. They'd been replaced twice before I got it and it has to be done again.
Not to only complain about older British stuff, we just installed a Kohler 375KW emergency generator and it appears to have a permanent small pan leak too. Short of sending it back (not very feasible) we're stuck with it.
Allied Princess #91
"Serenity"
St. Andrew's Marina, Panama City Fl
Old 08-08-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
I have heard though that rope seals are the only thing that those snake oil leak stoppers actually work on, by swelling up the rope.

They also work by softening & swelling the soft plastic seals - they do work but they're not a miracle cure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-08-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailak View Post
The 'hook is one heck of a helicopter but that made me nervous.
Hell, yeah it is! My biggest peeve was the NOISE! Then I started humping a pair of good ear muffs with my gear, made all the difference!
Old 08-08-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinayreefer View Post
Not to only complain about older British stuff, we just installed a Kohler 375KW emergency generator and it appears to have a permanent small pan leak too. Short of sending it back (not very feasible) we're stuck with it.
Most of the larger Kohler gensets have Volvo engines, so no blaming the Brits for that one! But I would think that a pan leak would be repairable on-site.