SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Best leaking engine quote ever... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/90574-best-leaking-engine-quote-ever.html)

jameswilson29 08-06-2012 01:12 PM

Best leaking engine quote ever...

From AP story about 70 year career airplane mechanic Azriel Blackman, who has no plans to retire:

"Back on the ground, he said modern jet engines are more reliable than vintage engines like the DC-3's.

"These leak oil all over the place," Blackman said. "When they're not leaking oil, it's not good. They're not running well.":laugher

justflie 08-06-2012 01:20 PM

Re: Best leaking engine quote ever...

The same goes for most military helicopters. If it ain't leakin hydraulic fluid, get worried, because you don't have any.

MarkSF 08-06-2012 01:27 PM

I've heard the same said for all British cars and motorbikes. It was certainly true for the all the Jags I've had, but at least it stopped the engine compartment from rusting away!

PorFin 08-06-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justflie (Post 906083)
The same goes for most military helicopters. If it ain't leakin hydraulic fluid, get worried, because you don't have any.

lol -- back in the day, a CH-47A crew chief's main task while underway was to wander the cargo compartment, a rag or two in one hand, a roll of 100mph tape in the other, applying band-aids to leaks. We were always happy to get off the plane ;)

sailak 08-06-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

I hated that when riding in a Chinook. There's always a puddle of hydraulic fluid under the rear gearbox and the crew chief is always going back to it and taking his glove off to touch the side like he's checking for heat.

The 'hook is one heck of a helicopter but that made me nervous.:)

jimmyb514 08-06-2012 01:56 PM

Was he an American Airlines mechanic? If so, I used to work with him. He ran circles around us "young whipper snappers'...

dmchose 08-06-2012 08:44 PM

Best leaking engine quote ever...

Comin back the Carolina's in 2 engine turbo prop, with about 60 of us on board.
I was on the starboard wing seat. An hour in the air with drink in hand I noticed a fine yellow run down the engine cowl starting from the forward end of the engine.
I notified the steward and shortly afterwards a very young pilot sat down beside me. He looked across me and then asked what did I think. I told him that to watch to turbo / oil pressure and temps. As long as there was a streak we were good and to get me home. I was hoping that at 5k, a good glide path would get me there if he could baby it for another 45 min ;-) He did and no one but knew the reason for a number of bright red vehicles standing by as we made final approach.

scratchee 08-06-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

On a helicopter, you don't have to wait until the hydraulic fluid stops leaking...you can start worrying right away.

Years ago I read an "Ode to Helo Pilots" or something like that. One line was, "That's why a helicopter pilot always looks so worried. He knows that something bad has either just happened, or is about to."

aeventyr60 08-06-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkSF (Post 906084)
I've heard the same said for all British cars and motorbikes. It was certainly true for the all the Jags I've had, but at least it stopped the engine compartment from rusting away!

My Perkins 4108 has always had a "drip"....If it's a Perkins a few drips are normal came form the shop that installed it.....

scratchee 08-06-2012 11:21 PM

Vivian,

You don't want to have anything to do with me. I have one too many leaks.