SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Propane oven (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/90648-propane-oven.html)

colinflteng 08-08-2012 01:54 AM

Propane oven

Does any one have propane stove I am having trouble turning on oven top burners light no problem

SimonV 08-08-2012 05:20 AM

Re: Propane oven

It would be nice to know what brand you have. And does it have a thermal coupling.

bigdogandy 08-08-2012 06:22 AM

I'd start with a Google search and find a copy of the Owner's manual for your stove.....when I got my current boat there was no manual and I couldn't figure out how to get the pilot light lit so I Googled "mariner princess owner's manual" and got the info I needed. Hopefully that's all you need and you won't need a new thermocouple or anything like that.

colinflteng 08-08-2012 11:49 AM

Thanks I will check model type and do a search for a manual it has a ignition button but does not work
Cheers Colin

johnnyquest37 08-08-2012 01:26 PM

I light my oven with a butane lighter (the ones for lighting outdoor grills). Have to hold the light button down while I get the pilot light to catch. The instructions for lighting the oven (the right way, not my way) are posted inside the top of the oven door. Maybe your oven has instructions posted to it in some obscure location.

Minnewaska 08-08-2012 01:33 PM

The manual Piezo igniter often goes bad. Try lighting with one of the BBQ butane lighters. If that works. There's your problem. Finding a new one can be a pain.

P.s. some manual igniters have batteries. Does yours?

Captainmeme 08-08-2012 01:38 PM

My oven is equipped with a battery operated spark generator. Maybe the electrode for the oven is defective or dirty.
Like in a car that won't start, its either no gas or no spark.
Turn off the gas, ignite the top burner to clear any gas from the line.

Try lighting the oven several times. This is to clear any gas in the lines.
Look in the oven for the spark that lights the burner.

Minnewaska 08-08-2012 02:08 PM

I did miss that it was the oven, not a top burner. Piezo is still a possibility. However, those big tubes can get dust or spider webs in them that will prevent them from lighting.

colinflteng 08-08-2012 07:07 PM

Just check force 10 oven got manual from google will start some trouble shooting will check for battery
Thanks for the help
Cheers Colin

Brewgyver 08-09-2012 12:23 AM

The Force 10 with thermostatically controlled oven has two buttons. The spark button, which makes both stovetop and oven/broiler electrodes spark, and a safety button for the oven/broiler only. To light the oven, set the temp you want, push and hold the safety button, then push the spark button til the oven burner ignites.