Honest costs of ownership in CA, plus any other tips for a newbe - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-10-2012

Great Scott is on a distinguished road
Honest costs of ownership in CA, plus any other tips for a newbe

I'm getting serious about maybe getting a sailboat, in either the Morro Bay or Ventura areas of CA. Probably 30'-40'. My main use is simply to escape.

Any tips of do's and don't for newbies would be very much appreciated. Especially realistic costs, things that are worth it and things that aren't.

For example the last boat I owned (32 years marriage and 6 kids ago) was on a trailer so things like hauling and bottom paint, dive services, docks or moorings, etc. were not things I had to think about.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance and enjoy your day.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-10-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: Honest costs of ownership in CA, plus any other tips for a newbe

Morro Bay is a crappy place to keep your boat because there are no real destinations there other than San Simeon or Port San Luis. Anything else is 100 miles either uphill to Monterey or around Point Conception to Santa Barbara and beyond. I't also chilly out on the water about 364 days a year. It's relatively cheap (about $8.00 a foot or $250.00 for a mooring) IF you can find a berth. Morro Bay is beautiful.
Ventura has tons of destinations, warmer water, a reasonable amount of wind and swell, but it's more expensive to keep your boat there, IIRC $12.00-$20.00 a foot depending on the marina and there are no moorings and no anchorage. Ventura/Oxnard aren't beautiful.
I would chose Ventura if I had to make that choice. I lived in and around Morro Bay for 25 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Scott View Post
....serious about maybe.....

You don't need to know the answer, you only need to know whether its worth it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-10-2012

Bradhamlet is on a distinguished road

Oxnard may not be beautiful but the Channel Islands are! And they can be sailed to in less than two [ 2 ] hours. yes they are that close. I saw a Blue whale on Tuesday only a mile past Gina. So yes it is wonderful here. Inland temps were 100+ out in the channel well it was just over 70. Don't let anyone know about this thread the may want to come here! Ha ha. My slip rate is high, a least I see it this way. 36 ft boat is about $500 a month. The Winter/Spring gales can be nasty, but nothing a double reef main won't fix. It really is wonderful down here.
Brad
Lancer 36
Old 08-10-2012

I looked up my last haul out bill 12-15-11 it was a sand and bottom paint with the cutless bearing replaced, out of the water about 5 days total and just about $1500 at Annacapa Boat yard. They are great, third time bottom painting there and it won't be the last.
Brad
Lancer 36
Old 08-10-2012

badfish_2 is on a distinguished road
Honest costs of ownership in CA, plus any other tips for a newbe

How often do you need to bottom paint?
Old 08-10-2012

SJ34 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Morro Bay is a crappy place to keep your boat because there are no real destinations there other than San Simeon or Port San Luis. Anything else is 100 miles either uphill to Monterey or around Point Conception to Santa Barbara and beyond. I't also chilly out on the water about 364 days a year. It's relatively cheap (about $8.00 a foot or $250.00 for a mooring) IF you can find a berth. Morro Bay is beautiful.
Ventura has tons of destinations, warmer water, a reasonable amount of wind and swell, but it's more expensive to keep your boat there, IIRC $12.00-$20.00 a foot depending on the marina and there are no moorings and no anchorage. Ventura/Oxnard aren't beautiful.
I would chose Ventura if I had to make that choice. I lived in and around Morro Bay for 25 years.
+1 everything said above.

Morro Bay is the destination, Ventura is where you park your boat between destinations.

Here are the costs you can expect to pay to keep a boat in the water in Ventura:

Slip fees - $12 to $13/ft and an additional $190 -$250mo if you plan to live aboard. BTW, living aboard is the best value as the boat expenses become your home expenses.

Bottom cleaning - $1.50/ft per month

Insurance (prudent anyway but required by marina) $500 to $$$$$ per year depending on coverage, boat value, cruising area, credit rating etc. etc.

Property tax - 1% of value of boat per year

Bottom paint every 3-4 years - ~$50/ft if the yard does the work, $15 to $18/ft DIY assuming about a 3day turn around(welcome to SoCal)

The above does not take into account the general costs of upkeep such as varnish (refresher coat every 6mo to a yr), polish and wax, rigging, engine etc etc.

For all that you get a potential 365 day sailing season, the best cruising grounds in California with the Channel Islands just 20 miles off-shore, Santa Barbara 25 miles North. LA, Newport, San Diego and Mexico to the South (downhill there, beat back).

Personally, I think it's worth every penny.
Old 08-10-2012

I scrub it myself and do the zincs so we make do with every three years or so.
Brad
Lancer 36

Last edited by Bradhamlet; 08-10-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

Ventura -

Weekend on a deserted Island 4 Hours Easy Sailing

Priceless
Old 08-10-2012

Also we get the super-charged winds of the Fall and Winter. They are called the "Santa Annas" and let me tell you there an't nothing like 40-45kts and flat water!!! wow you are in for a thrill come Oct/Nov.
Brad
Lancer 36