SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ratcheting winch handle

16K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  capta 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone

I have 2 speed winches on my boat.
Unfortunately there is not enough clearance around the winches (for the jib lines) to rotate all the way around.

This means you have to move the handle back and forth rather than around.

When the tension gets beyond a certain point, the "fast" direction of the winch become too hard to move.

The solution would be a ratcheting winch handle that will only engage in the "slow" direction.

any idea where I can obtain some?

Andreas

#2 ·
I don't think anyone makes one anymore. I could be wrong. If not, poke around the use consignment type places.

An alternative might be a handle that you can get two hands on and power against that high speed easier. Like this for example:

Dax OneTouch Composite Winch Handle

Or possibly a shorter handle that wouldn't be obstructed, but you give up leverage.

My first mission would be to try to get the obstruction out of the way. Dodger/bimini I presume?

#10 ·
That was a bit huffy.

As I already said, I don't think they are made any longer. Look in online marine consignment shops. However, you may need a different solution. Even if you find one, what will you do if you lose it or drop it overboard or the ratchet mechanism fails.

There are threads here for cordless right angle drills with a winch adapter. That might be a solution for you.

Good luck on your search.

#13 ·
It is correct that they are not made anymore. I sold one a year ago on ebay. As above, watch consignment shops or ebay- they do show up once in a while. South Coast made one at one time. Try calling Minneys.

#15 · (Edited)
Not sure of a retail source off hand, but have seen several references to 12" winch handles over the years. Perhaps a bit of extra leverage would help?

Others have pondered the question, too:
http://sailing.about.com/b/2009/09/28/the-search-for-the-perfect-winch-handle.htm

FWIW dept: we have a T-handle 10" that is oodles better than the standard handle. At least one can get more upper body strength into the rotation....

Note B: You might also re-think the location and angle of your primaries. Almost all production boats have their winch bases angled outward due to the overall angle of the top of the combing. This made the original tooling a bit less expensive, looks proper when viewed at the boat show, but leaves the grinders having to reach outward, away from their core strength.
It's fine for a tall and muscular 20-something guy, but terrible for everyone else. After some diagraming and a mockup, we added some risers under ours and changed the angle to bring the winches level.
Now they are much much (much!) easier to use. :)

#17 ·
If you buy a ratcheting drive from a hardware store for this you will need to baby it to prevent corrosion inside the mechanism. It will require frequent flushing and liberal treatment with a corrosion inhibitor. Or just replace it frequently. You can pick up used half inch ratchet drives for a few bucks and carry a whole toolbox full of them for what you will pay for one ratcheting winch handle.

#18 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone

I have 2 speed winches on my boat.
Unfortunately there is not enough clearance around the winches (for the jib lines) to rotate all the way around.

This means you have to move the handle back and forth rather than around.

When the tension gets beyond a certain point, the "fast" direction of the winch become too hard to move.

The solution would be a ratcheting winch handle that will only engage in the "slow" direction.

any idea where I can obtain some?

Andreas
Andreas--

Consider using a Winchbit with a 10" or 12" socket wrench. It works, in both directions, and overall will be less costly than another winch handle.

FWIW...

#19 ·
Hi AndreaNYC,

How much is the constraint? Our Contessa 26 has the winches too close to the stanchions ... for a 10" winch handle. The 8" is fine. We decided to stay with the 10" handle and ratchet it on our single-speed winches as the extra leverage and handle feels better.

Instead of a ratchet, would a shorter handle work in your case?

#20 ·
Also try Bacon's in Annapolis. They have a lot of consignment gear for sail. If you can fine one it will be pricey because they were never common and there is quite a bit of demand. I bought a used one some years ago and it was much more than a new, standard handle. I would not worry about dropping it over the side - with the price and difficulty finding one you will be extra careful.

#22 ·
Wouldn't a closed end ratcheting wrench attach readily to the other end of the Winchbit?
If so, yes, I'd stick it in the end of the wrench and epoxy it there for a cheap solution.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200495415_200495415?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Hand%20Tools-_-Wrenches-_-19819&ci_sku=19819&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

#27 ·
Got the winch bit and it worked well with socket wrench. A 12mm socket is actually a better fit for the drive end of the winch bit.

My choice of epoxy to set the Winchbit into a socket may not work for long. Used the PC-7 black / grey epoxy paste. Don't know if it was too old and didn't set up well but the bit is starting to work lose after a few uses.

Might try the somewhat flexible epoxy West Systems has or maybe just get it welded.

#29 ·
As others have noted, I would worry about the ratchet mechanism rusting in due time. Sears Craftsman make some mew ratcheting wrenches that will fit multiple patterns. When they do rust you simply take it back to Sears and they replace it under their lifetime guarantee.

If you weld it, you will lose that guarantee.

#32 ·
I had a beautiful Stainless Craftsman ratchet wrench. Did not realize I dropped it in the driveway one year before the first snow fall. It got plowed into the snow mound at the bottom of the hill. It sat there all winter with driveway salt all winter till the summer thaw. It worked fine for a few more years till the dentant ball came out. I took it back to Sears, and they did not make it anymore, and they gave me the best available. Wish I had them send it back for repair, but needed it for a job that weekend.

Perhaps you could find one on eBay?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.