SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Replacing old VHF (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/90906-replacing-old-vhf.html)

sailrmon 08-13-2012 03:46 PM

Replacing old VHF

The display on my old (14+ years) Standard horizon Intrepid has failed and i am replacing it. the technology has changed a lot and i am looking at the Standard Horizon Matrix 2150 with AIS. also the Ram 3 remote mic since it would give me longer range and better reception over the hand held i use in the cockpit now. i like the fact that this unit uses the current VHF anteana and you do not have to install a second anteana and is also a hailer. to me it seems to be a lot of bang for the buck. i was very happy with the old VHF and to me they seem to be of good quality.

Does anyone have experiance with this VHF. any feedback, Pros and Cons would be appreciated. also recomendations on other brands that are comparable and you feel may be better.

Thanks

Bill

SOVT 08-13-2012 05:02 PM

Re: Replacing old VHF

Installed one last September. Crossed my fingers in planning the installation the installation because the boat was in Gibraltar. Turned out the install was easy and the NMEA 0183 connection to an old Magellan GPS worked on the first try.
The quality of the transceiver was excellant. The AIS portion was a godsend sailing to the Canaries - Atlantic crossing - St. Thomas and finally Miami.

Mike

sea_hunter 08-13-2012 05:05 PM

Good choice. We bought ours a few months back and connected it to our chartplotter. Works great and going to buy a second for the lower station. Check out sale pricing as everyone's asking $399.99.

flyingjib 08-13-2012 05:12 PM

June issue of Practical Sailor reviewed mid-range VHF radios. As always very informative:

Practical Sailor - June 2012

Cruiser2B 08-13-2012 07:24 PM

I bought the older verision 2100 new a few months ago for $219, leftovers i guess. I am not sure what the differences are, but this unit works well with my Garmin 120. Good luck!

hellosailor 08-14-2012 12:26 PM

BIll, SH still makes great gear but if your existing antenna has been up 14 years?

It is time to replace the coax and either inspect or replace the antenna. Even if there is no water damage, the weight of gravity pulling down on coax compresses the insulating layer, which changes the performance of the cable, so it degrades over time. Fourteen years? Time to do some checking, at least.

MarkSF 08-14-2012 12:45 PM

The 2150 works better than the 2100 (or, rather, works at all) with some chartplotters that only have one NMEA 0183 interface.

There's a document here explaining the differences :

http://www.standardhorizon.com/downl...pplication/pdf

I installed the 2150 and have it talking to my Lowrance HDS-5M chartplotter. Couldn't be happier with it. Reception is excellent, quite an improvement on my previous 1150.

I'd also recommend SH over other brands, on the basis of their customer service, which has been great.

MarkSF 08-14-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellosailor (Post 909412)
BIll, SH still makes great gear but if your existing antenna has been up 14 years?

It is time to replace the coax and either inspect or replace the antenna. Even if there is no water damage, the weight of gravity pulling down on coax compresses the insulating layer, which changes the performance of the cable, so it degrades over time. Fourteen years? Time to do some checking, at least.

Like he said!

blowinstink 08-14-2012 12:52 PM

Love the 2150 I bought last year. After a couple of offshore runs with it, I have no complaints. However, if I were going to start from scratch now, I might buy an AIS transceiver: I like the AIS so much that I would like to be broadcasting a signal as well. Throw that in the hopper . . . definitely the Matrix is easy and way better than no AIS capability at all.

Silvio 08-14-2012 01:02 PM

Been using my 2150 for about a yer also and love it. I agree with Blowinstink's sentiments. I like having AIS so much that I feel like I should be broadcasting a signal as well as receiving them.

No regrets on the SH 2150, easy install, easy to hook up to the chart plotter, and simple RAM installation.