SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Resurfacing my winch drums (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/90951-resurfacing-my-winch-drums.html)

Lawrie 08-14-2012 06:15 PM

Resurfacing my winch drums

I have two barient 22 two speed winches on my C&C 30 that have over time become very slippery. Does anyone know a good way to resurface the drums to give them more grip?

zz4gta 08-15-2012 11:43 AM

Re: Resurfacing my winch drums

Lots of info on this. Try a search.

hellosailor 08-15-2012 11:55 AM

Lawrie, find a local machine shop. They can resurface the drums with media blasting, or wires in an air chisel, or other ways. If the shop looks at it and goes "huh?" find another shop. Resurfacing metals to get better traction should be a simple job for any competent shop. Then the only question is whether you want the drums plated or coated, or not.

Faster 08-15-2012 01:02 PM

A friend recently had some success by coating the drum surface with grit-embedded epoxy after giving them a quick sanding. YMMV depending on the drum style (chromed, alum, etc...)

Geoff Ralling 01-23-2014 11:31 AM

Jan 23, 2014

Lawrie:

What did you end up with as a solution for your slippery surface Barient winches. I too would like to resurface my aluminum winch drums and am
not sure what approach works best.

Geoff

Lawrie 01-23-2014 01:20 PM

I ended up knurling the winch drum with a very fine gage bit. It took a while but seemed to work out well. The sheets don't slip on the drum like they used to and they aren't so ruff that they tear up my jib sheets.

hellosailor 01-23-2014 04:23 PM

Geoff-
Faster's method (grit in epoxy or similar) is possibly the most effective for a DIY project. I've also seen folks having them re-textured using an air scaler, a bunch of steel "needles" that are in a pneumatic tool, usually designed to take heavy rust off surfaces. If you can find a machine shop locally, they may have some alternative suggestions, and the equipment to make a good fast job of it. (Carrying around some closeup smartphone pix helps, easier than carrying the winch around. (G) )

Geoff Ralling 01-24-2014 08:30 AM

Thanks both for your replies. A local shop has offered to knurl them so that's an option. I wonder about loss of anodized surface with this option? I was thinking that instead of epoxy/grit, a strip of peel-and-stick anti-skid tape might work too. I'm certainly impressed with how long that tape lasts on well used surfaces. Might be hard on the lines but perhaps no worse and easier to reverse than the epoxy approach.

The winches are Barients and the primary (jib) winches on my 32 foot boat. They are self-tailing with some sort of plastic rope grips on top. With the slippery drums, the strain on the rope grips is deforming the screws that hold the grips in place. So, I would like to increase the friction of the drums to prevent the slippage.

Geoff

hellosailor 01-24-2014 08:42 AM

I'd expect the peel-n-stick to move, since it isn't at all on a flat surface, and it is being pulled laterally around the drum, rather than being simply pressed down. Epoxy could of course always be removed with simple [sic] sandblasting. The anodized surface should be consumed by any mechanical resurfacing, anodizing is just a few molecules thick. A shop that is resurfacing the drums probably can send them out for re-anodizing afterwards if that's what the finish was. It might be worth asking Barient about new rope grips, while you're rebuilding the winches. Plastic eventually will fail from UV and stress so...while they're off the deck...

SloopJonB 02-02-2014 07:36 PM

You'll need a medium to ask Barient anything - they've been gone (and much missed) since the early 90's.