Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-14-2012

tominny is on a distinguished road
SSB weather on PC - Bahamas

I have a Kaito SSB receiver
Buy.com - Kaito Electronics Inc. KA1102SLV Digital AM/FM/SW World Receiver with SSB

and would like to use it to receive weather information in the Bahamas as I will be away from from the main cruising hubs most of the time. My understanding is that you tune in at a specific frequency at a specific time, plug in the sound output into the laptop microphone jack and have a software program decode and render the message. However, I was not able to find good documentation on how to do this on a laptop with free software. Does anyone have good advice here?

Also, where can I find the frequency and times for weather forecasts in the Bahamas?

Any other suggestions on getting weather information on the cheap down there? I really like ZyGRIP, but not sure how to get their weather data without an expensive satellite phone or Pactor modem.

Thanks!

Tartan 34C
New York City
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: SSB weather on PC - Bahamas

The broadcast times and frequencies are at http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf
The software you need is MultiPSK available at index MultiPSK is massive overkill - you will struggle with trying to figure out how to use it - hint you press the button HF FAX and then tune. Take the earphone output from the radio and feed it into the microphone input on the PC. That's all it takes.

Both the document and the software are free.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
Old 08-14-2012
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Hi

There is a lot of good info here:

Marine Radiofax charts

In particular look at the radiofax users guide. I had very limited success in downloading weather faxes (I could get some content but never worked out the kinks well enough to make consistent use of it). You'll need to download the freeware and also to buy a cable (cheap) which connects your radio to your laptop.

Also, check out your explorer charts (or whatever cruising guide you are using) to find out the current frequencies for Chris Parker's voice broadcast each day (Mon - Sat). You can also see his webpage here:

Marine Weather Center - Bahamas & Caribbean Marine Weather Services

When you have internet access you can watch the web simulcast at this site:

GreenLight Web

Hopefully someone who has had better luck with the weatherfax reception can help us both out -).

Luck,
Matt
Old 08-14-2012
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

All you have to do is tune into Chris Parker in the morning. He gives the best weather for the area. Marine Weather Center - Meet Chris Parker

A little Sony and it'll usually boom in.
Sony ICF-SW7600GR AM/FM Shortwave World Band Receiver with Single Side Band Reception, plus External Plug-in Antenna

Old 08-14-2012

RichH will become famous soon enough

Ditto with Caribbean Weather by Chris Parker .... for the best and most comprehensive weather forecasts for the Bahamas and more importantly for crossing the Gulf Stream.

Schedules and frequencies are found on Marine Weather Center - Marine Weather Center Services

When using a HF shortwave receiver, consider to use an external antenna 'long wire' (just an insulated simple wire that is pulled high in the rigging) or a simple 'dipole' made of the same wire ... will be MUCH more effective than the usual 'internal' antenna on most portable shortwave radios.
If you dont already have a portable shortwave radio ... one of the very best for the price is:
Amazon.com: Sangean ATS-909X AM/FM/LW/SW World Band Receiver: Electronics Amazon.com: Sangean ATS-909X AM/FM/LW/SW World Band Receiver: Electronics

In the popular cruising destinations such as Marsh Harbour or Georgetown, etc. you can tune in in the morning on VHF for weather forecasts through the local cruisers nets.