Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012
Dufour 27 Newb

jaybeegee is on a distinguished road
draining the engine coolant - blocked!

Hi all! My beta marine (Model - BD722 - 20hp) comes with a water drain tap coolant | Flickr - Photo Sharing! however removing the drain tap does not give any results. I also tried with the water lid/pressure cap off in case it made a difference but no!

I have tried inserting some flexible wire to see if I can clear what might be a blockage at the tap end but cannot get past the bend about an inch in!

Now I am not sure if the blockage is at the water tap end or possibly further up and not enough coolant circulating the engine block! This check was triggered as I noticed what looked like steam(?)/ white smoke(?) and the engine hotter than normal although alarm did not kick in.

Then in the absence of the drain tap I have used a domestic type suction pipes fitted with an aquarium type pipe taped at one end to try and empty the coolant but could only get 1/2 ltr out (manual says 3.1ltr)

Is removing the heat exhanger the next logical thing? Not too keen on that as quite a newb! Any other ideas of what I can try?

thanks

J.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-15-2012

Bob142 is on a distinguished road
Re: draining the engine coolant - blocked!

Is it possible that the engine is that low on coolant...If you have already checked that please ignore this...just checking because it is often easy to miss the most obvious..
Flybyknight likes this.

Any storm in a port...
Old 08-15-2012
Dufour 27 Newb

Hi bob thanks for that. yes I did check the coolant level and it is currently on max. I might try starting the engine without the cap and tap open for a little bit see if that clears the drain! Might make a bit of a mess in the process!
Old 08-15-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like the drain is plugged.. breaking the lowest hose connection you can get at might be the next logical step.
jaybeegee likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-16-2012
Dufour 27 Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Sounds like the drain is plugged.. breaking the lowest hose connection you can get at might be the next logical step.
Thanks for that! I didn't see any piping/hose connections to/fro the engineblock leading to the water drain (all pipes with jubilee clips seem to be connected to the heat exchanger) but will have another look.
Old 08-16-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

(Pretty boat!)

Realize that the Beta Marine engines are "marinized" Kubota diesels. I have a Universal M25, which is also a "marinized" Kubota diesel. After looking at you pictures, it appears that part of the Beta marinization includes installing a 90º Ell, and a petcock (with a plastic valve!) on the Kubota drain hole. I suspect that the 90º ell may be blocked, or the plastic valve may be broken.

I would simply disconnect a coolant hose that connects to the block at a low point to drain the coolant every two or three years.

If you want to fix, then I would start by removing the paint from the Ell, and the petcock, and first try to back out the petcock with a wrench. Once that is out, you can probably clean the Ell. If not, it appears that you may gain enough clearance by removing the petcock, to back out the ell with out bumping into that motor mount.

Find the manuals on the Kubota block that your Beta is based on, and use that as a guide.
jaybeegee likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 08-16-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2012
Dufour 27 Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
(Pretty boat!)
that the 90º ell may be blocked, or the plastic valve may be broken.
Which plastic valve are you referring to? Is it that part which looks like a flynut? If yes I dont think it is broken as I managed to unscrew it completely and pass a little bit of wire right through until the 90degrees "L"

Quote:
(Pretty boat!)
I would simply disconnect a coolant hose that connects to the block at a low point to drain the coolant every two or three years.
Can you please have a look at these two pics coolant2 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! and coolant1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! ? Is this the hose I should remove? Do I remove on the side of the water tank (shown in pic) or on the other end which looks as though it connects to the water pump?

Quote:
(Pretty boat!)
If you want to fix, then I would start by removing the paint from the Ell, and the petcock, and first try to back out the petcock with a wrench. Once that is out, you can probably clean the Ell. If not, it appears that you may gain enough clearance by removing the petcock, to back out the ell with out bumping into that motor mount.
I dont think there is petcock just a screw which opens and closes the drain (literally a small hole and you can see it here coolant | Flickr - Photo Sharing!). Unlikely I will remove that "elbow" instead my colleague suggested using one of those gadgets used to pass wiring through the conduit. He has a nylon one which hopefully will fit through the thin hole.

thanks again

J.
Old 08-16-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Yes, I thought it was the flynut... Looking more closely at your pic, I can see that it is painted metal.

This is a pic of my Kubota diesel in situ;

If I were to drain the block without using the coolant drain, which was frozen closed by the way, I would remove the hose highlighted in the picture below;

And then I would either open the vent on the top of the block, or remove the coolant fill cap.

The correct hose is the large "L" shaped hose in the middle of my first picture.
jaybeegee likes this.
Old 08-16-2012
Dufour 27 Newb

thanks for that - clear enough!
Old 08-19-2012

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

We have an M25, too. The very last place one would encourage draining the block would be from a petcock. Why? 'Cuz they have small openings (which can get clogged from debris in the coolant) and they are usually in a position where opening them will spray coolant all over and be hard to gather.

As suggested, undo a hose. Like this: Engine Overheating 101 - How to Burp Your Engine (Reply #6) Engine overheating problem (with Instructions "How To Burp!") Read the rest of that topic, too, 'cuz you may have to burp your engine if/when you replace coolant if you have a water heater leg.
jaybeegee likes this.

Tags
blockage , coolant , freshwater system

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.