Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Those thing will eat a toerail in seconds - don't do it. I had one of the Makitas 'cause it seemed like a cool tool - it was the most useless power tool I ever owned. There must be a reason it was invented but I never found out what it was.

Face facts - the job you describe is a hand job (pun intended) - there is no power tool appropriate to it I'm afraid.
There's a guy I work with who has one of the Makita tools there. He uses it for shaping holes etc after he cuts through a hull. Great tool for the right job.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Power tool for sanding toe rail

I highly recommend against power-anything for this job, no matter how sexy looking. They are expensive, noisy, and inflexible. The are extremely difficult to control and the result is loss of wood along with the old finish. And in the end, you will still have to scrape the details.

As a furniture maker with 25 years experience and a ton of experience with this job in particular, I strongly recommend a cabinetmaker's card scraper in a holder of your making or one available at woodworking stores. I use a holder made from a 2" x 3" x 3/4" oak block with a handle set at a 90 degree angle to the block. It's my grandfather's design and has worked for almost 100 years. They key is a nice, sharp hook in the scraper edge. PM me for instructions on how to set one in less than 2 minutes with only a file and screwdriver.

When I did my toe rail 2 years ago, several people stopped by the boat and marveled at the speed and quiet at which I was progressing. I did the port, starboard, and stern toerails in about 3 hours down to the wood but not into the wood. Can't be done as accurately with any electric sander. Trust me. And stay away from the chemical strippers too. They'll just waste your time and wallet.

Cabinet Scrapers are one of the least appreciated, most effective tools in the woodworkers tool box. IMO, too many novice woodworkers buy everything electric in the false assumption that they have to be faster-better. Not true, just a question of picking the most effective weapon.
SloopJonB likes this.
Old 08-18-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

After several costly mistakes I learned not to use power sanders on anything like that.
One slip and you have a gouge ruining a rounded surface.
Old 08-18-2012
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

oysterman23 is on a distinguished road
Sabreman
Amen to the effective and poorly appreciated furniture scraper..and for detailing close to the glass a japanese finger chisel or...an angle chisel drawn nearly perpendicular to the surface backwards...
In any case the fresh oils need to be rinsed with a wash for a lasting bond with most finishes. I'm using semco natural this go round...given up on theshiny high maintanance stuff god I miss the old Woodlife.....
Cod
Old 08-19-2012

I wipe uncoated teak with a terry cloth and acetone or lacquer thinner to remove oils. I turn the cloth frequently and use a new one if it gets discolored with oils. Never had a finish fail using these simple techniques.

I use Cetol natural and sometimes Cetol gloss. IMO, it's the easiest, most robust teak finish to apply. But I will admit to a sigh when I see the glass finish on a Hinckley's teak.
Old 08-19-2012
No more curry buffets

Ritchard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterman23 View Post
Sabreman
Amen to the effective and poorly appreciated furniture scraper..and for detailing close to the glass a japanese finger chisel or...an angle chisel drawn nearly perpendicular to the surface backwards...
In any case the fresh oils need to be rinsed with a wash for a lasting bond with most finishes. I'm using semco natural this go round...given up on theshiny high maintanance stuff god I miss the old Woodlife.....
Cod
I cleaned up all the teak this spring and applied Semco Natural brown. I really like the look, and a touchup coat (every 90 days?) of the whole boat takes a half hour with a rag and a little plastic tub of the stuff.
Old 08-21-2012

Power tool for sanding toe rail

I do our boat annually and that's fine enough for me. I clean/scuff the teak with a Scotch pad and lay on a coat of Cetol with a china bristle chip brush. It's not one of my furniture grade finishes, but I have to draw the line somewhere. The interior is another story.

I like applying finish. It's relaxing
Old 08-21-2012

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Knowing ( by your post(s) ) ,that you do woodwork for a living, I still have to ask, are you doing your annual maintenance coat with clear only ?

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 08-21-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I often use hand scrapers and the judicious use of a heat gun for such jobs. It actually works surprisingly fast once you get the hang of it.

Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 08-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
I like applying finish. It's relaxing
Applying varnish can become quite Zen-like. Prep work, not so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.