Power tool for sanding toe rail - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 Old 08-15-2012 Thread Starter

Power tool for sanding toe rail

I need to re-varnish the wood trim on the outside of the boat. The toe-rail is only about 2 by 2 and so it isn't very easy to power sand it with standard orbital sanders or even a finishing sander. Can anyone suggest a power tool (and appropriate attachment) that might work effectively here? The job would be to remove any black staining, old peeling varnish and to smooth any surfaces that are already bare.
Last time, I used hand scrapers and sandpaper and I'm hoping someone can suggest an easier way.
Ross
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 08-15-2012
Senior Cruiser

Unless you've got a tender hand do it the same way you did lastly. You could try a multi-tool of some type; either Fein or HomeDepot brand.
post #3 of 46 Old 08-15-2012

Re: Power tool for sanding toe rail

Ross

I'll be watching this post as I'll be doing the same on my toerail.
So far I am leaning towards the 1/4 sheet sander as it has 4 flat sides, even though it is orbital, it should be able to do the job. Problem is when you get too close to the hull, and my idea is to mask the fiberglass with the wide blue masking tape then cover this tape with gorilla tape. This way the fiberglass will not be harmed. Reason for the blue tape? Gorilla tape is very sticky and may leave a residue, with the blue tape underneath it would be easy to peel back when the job is finished.
post #4 of 46 Old 08-15-2012

I have seen some nice little mini belt sanders that use a 1" wide belt that might do the trick. A dremmel with a flap wheel might do the trick too. Go to your local tool shop and have a look around!

1979 Santana 30 Tall Rig
Hull#101
post #5 of 46 Old 08-16-2012 Thread Starter

Power tool for sanding toe rail

Going to tool stores is on my to-do list (always drool when I go) but I was hoping that someone had 'been there done that' successfully.
Love those pictures.
Ross
post #6 of 46 Old 08-16-2012

Yeah that Bosch one looks promising!

1979 Santana 30 Tall Rig
Hull#101
post #7 of 46 Old 08-16-2012

Ya know, a citrus or soy stripper, along with a set of sharp cabinet scrappers will do a excellent job, then it's a easy fine sand job

But, a drumel multimax is a handy tool

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 08-16-2012 at 12:48 AM.
post #8 of 46 Old 08-16-2012
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I have seen some nice little mini belt sanders that use a 1" wide belt that might do the trick. A dremmel with a flap wheel might do the trick too. Go to your local tool shop and have a look around!

Those thing will eat a toerail in seconds - don't do it. I had one of the Makitas 'cause it seemed like a cool tool - it was the most useless power tool I ever owned. There must be a reason it was invented but I never found out what it was.

Face facts - the job you describe is a hand job (pun intended) - there is no power tool appropriate to it I'm afraid.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #9 of 46 Old 08-16-2012
Seņor Member

A Fein MultiMaster (or another company's equivalant) will do the job, but you may not save yourself much time. I usually reach for my Fein first when tackling projects, but when doing my own caprails I found that the old fashioned methods were in fact faster and yielded better results.

I'm with SJB and PP on this one -- combination of a sharp card scraper and where necessary Citrus Strip. If the finish is particularly stubborn, a heat gun will come in handy.
post #10 of 46 Old 08-16-2012
Cherp

Those makita power files do what a rough rasp used to do. They are good for rough shaping. Mind you, i still find plenty of uses for the rasp too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.