Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Primary anchor choice?
Manson Supreme 25# 5 29.41%
Rocna 22# 4 23.53%
Either, both are pretty equal. 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: Choosing my primary anchor!

More information:

I purchased the Manson Supreme and tested it. Set well and I loved it. However, sitting on the mooring I noticed that the pointy end of the anchor sat very low on the roller and would create a problem with pendent chafe in a blow.

Took the Manson back to West Marine, I was honest with them, and after some discussion and a couple of visits, talking with the right people/managers (sales staff where hesitant to take back a "used" anchor and I understand why) they let me trade if for a Rocna to see how that set on my roller.

Seems that the angle of the Rocna's shaft is straighter and flatter, this keeps the pointy end up a bit higher and closer to the roller. I think I like it better as far as how it sits.

Neither anchor will fit through my bow pulpit/roller furler so they would have to be taken off or maybe stored upside down on the roller (something I tried with the Manson and I did not like the way it sat) in a storm. Of course, in a forecasted tropical storm or hurricane I would take the anchor off the roller, but in a blow/thunderstorm on a work day I might have a problem getting to the boat. This, obviously is a problem if the anchor does not sit well on the roller.

So far the poll edges towards the fact that they are equal, I'm very interested in your opinions, so thanks to those that replied and or voted.

As far as starting another anchor thread, many of the others where more directed towards the quality "glitch" in Rocna. Also, even subtle changes in design seem to make a difference as to how an anchor sets or holds. I was hoping that by narrowing the thread down to two specific models for one specific boat the rhetoric would be minimal.

Again, thanks to all who replied.

Rob

Last edited by RobGallagher; 08-17-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

I am thinking of filling all my empty rum bottles with beach sand and tie them together with some marlin I got from the dumpster in back of the rigging shop. This way I can sell my anchor and buy more rum.....What do you think?
Old 08-17-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
I guess my Home depot bucket of rocks doesn't count?
Old 08-20-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
More information:

I purchased the Manson Supreme and tested it. Set well and I loved it. However, sitting on the mooring I noticed that the pointy end of the anchor sat very low on the roller and would create a problem with pendent chafe in a blow.

Took the Manson back to West Marine, I was honest with them, and after some discussion and a couple of visits, talking with the right people/managers (sales staff where hesitant to take back a "used" anchor and I understand why) they let me trade if for a Rocna to see how that set on my roller.

Seems that the angle of the Rocna's shaft is straighter and flatter, this keeps the pointy end up a bit higher and closer to the roller. I think I like it better as far as how it sits.

Neither anchor will fit through my bow pulpit/roller furler so they would have to be taken off or maybe stored upside down on the roller (something I tried with the Manson and I did not like the way it sat) in a storm. Of course, in a forecasted tropical storm or hurricane I would take the anchor off the roller, but in a blow/thunderstorm on a work day I might have a problem getting to the boat. This, obviously is a problem if the anchor does not sit well on the roller.

So far the poll edges towards the fact that they are equal, I'm very interested in your opinions, so thanks to those that replied and or voted.

As far as starting another anchor thread, many of the others where more directed towards the quality "glitch" in Rocna. Also, even subtle changes in design seem to make a difference as to how an anchor sets or holds. I was hoping that by narrowing the thread down to two specific models for one specific boat the rhetoric would be minimal.

Again, thanks to all who replied.

Rob
If the boat is left unattended on a mooting the anchor should be removed if it can ever come in contact with the pendant. Most all anchors will come in contact with a pendant in a storm!!!

Our Rocna, now Mantus, is removed every time we leave the boat on the mooring and stowed in the anchor locker.

This should be an eye opener..

Mooring Preparations & Precautions (LINK)

P.S. Sent from beautiful Isle au Haut Maine.....
RobGallagher likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 08-20-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road

Ridiculous poll; tomahto, tomayto. I would pick neither for which there's no selection.
Old 09-02-2012
HANUMAN

Well, I did a little completely non-nada-not-scientific test. Manson Suprem 25 never even came close to dragging in several anchoring tests. Dug in and stuck like glue.

So far: In approximately the same spot, the Rocna 22 dragged the first time I set it. I moved and it set pretty well. Second round, another anchorage, it set, but under full reverse I could drag the anchor very slowly in mud/muck.

Will try more this week with the Rocna...
Old 09-02-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

Just use a slip.
sww914 likes this.
Old 09-03-2012
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseParrot View Post
Just use a slip.
I did but it tends to show. Then there is the static. It's just a hassle. I went back to boxers.
tankersteve and MedSailor like this.
Old 09-03-2012

sstuller is on a distinguished road

Try the square rigger anchor test. Sail downwind towards the beach (the engine quit) at three or four knots and drop the anchor. If the anchor stops the boat before you run up on the beach it is big enough. If not buy a bigger anchor (with lots of chain). A word to the wise - try this test before the engine quits. Thanks. Steve S.