Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road
Catalina 27 Maintenance - Where to start

I recently purchased a 1985 Catalina 27 Tall Rig with an inboard diesel. I really want to be proactive about maintenance, but I am a bit overwhelmed as to where to start. The boat is generally in good shape and given all of the books I've read about surveying, engines, and maintenance (including Good Old Boat, Calder's texts, etc.) there doesn't seem to be anything glaring that requires immediate attention (big knock on wood here). I'm also an little wary of introducing variables as things are working and I would like to enjoy the boat the rest of the season. I also believe the previous owner was fairly active with maintenance and hit most of the major pre-season items. Any thoughts as to where to start applying time/money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 27 Maintenance - Where to start

Where to start? Owner's/operator's manual for diesel inboard - should include a maintenance schedule.

If you want to become acquainted with your inboard and routine maintenance, you can start by checking/replacing the impeller and cleaning the raw water strainer (if it has one), changing the oil and oil filter, changing the transmission fluid, changing the primary and secondary fuel filters, changing the coolant and checking the heat exchanger, checking the alternator belt, and checking/replacing all hoses around the engine.

You should probably also check all seacocks and hoses and check the rigging. Also, check the battery bank and condition of the batteries.
Tempest and chef2sail like this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 08-18-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2012

swimnfit is on a distinguished road

Congratulations! The C27 is a great little boat.
Most of the Catalina family has some great owner support groups where you can get answers to most if not all of your questions specific to your boat.

Start Here : International Catalina 27/270 Association

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ďA wet sheet and a flowing sea, / A wind that follows fast / And fills the white and rustling sail / And bends the gallant mast.Ē
Old 08-18-2012

Greenflash35 is on a distinguished road

Rumor has it only takes three days in still water to start a barnacle farm.
Old 08-18-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Just go sail the hell out of it.

I have a C27. You'll love it.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 08-19-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

You definitely need to take care of that engine because if it packs it in, you will spend more to repower than the boat is worth, or you will be installing an outboard! Definitely make sure it is up to scratch, and keep it that way. If you are not familiar with marine diesels, consider paying a mechanic to come down and check it out, and pay attention while he does it!

You obviously want to watch out for signs of corrosion on the standing rigging, and make sure all of your turn buckles and clevis pins have cotter pins or rings in them so they can't back off or fall out. After that just start using the boat. Deficiencies will start to appear as you get to know the boat and your knowledge increases.
Hull#101
Old 08-19-2012
gts1544

gts1544 is on a distinguished road

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step! Prioritize and then tackle one area at a time and see it through to fruition. Use a digital camera and keep a log, preferably on your computer, backed up! The log will prove to be invaluable. gts1544 - retired airline pilot afflicted with the dreaded disease known as airline anal. But it kept me alive in the sky for 50 years!
Old 08-19-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Where to start? Owner's/operator's manual for diesel inboard - should include a maintenance schedule.

If you want to become acquainted with your inboard and routine maintenance, you can start by checking/replacing the impeller and cleaning the raw water strainer (if it has one), changing the oil and oil filter, changing the transmission fluid, changing the primary and secondary fuel filters, changing the coolant and checking the heat exchanger, checking the alternator belt, and checking/replacing all hoses around the engine.

You should probably also check all seacocks and hoses and check the rigging. Also, check the battery bank and condition of the batteries.
Don't forget the little zinc in the hear exchanger. I just checked mine, and it was gone.
RobGallagher likes this.
Old 12-25-2012
Anything-Sailing Founder

ckgreenman will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ckgreenman Send a message via MSN to ckgreenman Send a message via Yahoo to ckgreenman

Congrats on your new boat. I recently bought a 1984 C27 std rig and have my hands full trying to go through all the systems myself. I just found and fixed an oil leak on the M18 ($4.19 for a new oil filter) and have been going through all the portlights trying to solve the water leaks. The only MAJOR projects I have is replacing the rotted bulkheads. I'll be buying a sheet of plywood for that soon. lol

Good luck and enjoy!!!

cM(not k)greenman

S/V "The Jade Dragon"
1975 O'Day 25

Meet me at

Ignore Power = Currently Rebuilding
--
Old 12-26-2012

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

We are in basically the same situation so I will share what I have decided to do (with good advice from the Admiral I must admit).
The old "if it aint broke" applies so do the maintenance recommended and inspect all rigging and then as smack wrote "sail the crap out of it". We will both soon find out what we want to change/upgrade on our boats as we see fit.

Bill

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.