Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Pressure cooker choice

Some info on buying pressure cookers, pros and cons of various styles and safety features here: hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes and tips!: go shopping We have a Fagor, have had it and used often for 20 years, the only thing to go bad seems to be the rubber ring seals, and those are easy to buy extras and store. Like Chef, we stay away from aluminum pans (and Teflon too, whole 'nother issue) but curious to read that tdw wishes he'd bought the long-handle version, since I've often lusted after the short-handle style for stowage?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I love my all stainless, Italian made Lagostina, often sold in Canadian Tire stores. Ingenious lid on it. I had to change the pressure rocker for a Presto one, as the Lagostina didnt have enough pressure. Its been going strong for several decades now, no problems. For canners, aluminium works, if you dont put water above the tops of the jars. Those can be found in scrapyards for $2 a pound, including some very expensive ones.
I built my own large stainless canner, out of stainless pipe from the scrapyard.
Old 10-12-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
Snip ... but curious to read that tdw wishes he'd bought the long-handle version, since I've often lusted after the short-handle style for stowage?
Not so much wishes as jury still out. We went short handle cos we figured most of time when in use pressure cooker just sit on the stove and of course stowage was a major consideration. The other side of the coin is that I do use the thing to brown meat and/or lightly shallow fry e.g lardons, onion, garlic, pre pressurising and the long handle would be an advantage there. I think it will take a few more weeks of use before I'm sure.
wingNwing likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-14-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Ok, so I'm beginning to feel some love. Must say that one positive is that the Kuhn Rikon does not need a trivett as it has a "waffle" base. This makes browning quick and easy.

Saturday evening (inspired by a recipe on the Hip site - http://www.hippressurecooking.com/). I did Pork Chops and cabbage with apple, chorizo, proscuitto and onion. Recipe is now in the Two Pot cooker thread that I eventually found.

The Two Pot Cook Off

(I'd have liked to post this in the two pot recipe thread but cannot find it. If I do then I'll move the recipe part. If anyone feels the recipe is not appropriate for this thread please say so and I'll find it a new home irrespective.)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 10-14-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

My Lagostina uses an O ring, into which the pressure forces the lid, so breakdown has to go a long way before it can prevent a seal. My canner uses an old piece of inner tube in the same way, so sealing is never a problem. If you store your jars in the canner, then the canner is not taking up much space itself, not much more than the jars alone would take up.