Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Pressure cooker choice

Currently I have a 4 qt aluminium Mirro. It is 4 to 5 years old and is starting to show signs of galvanic corrosion. The handle falling off when the bolt corroded through was my first clue.

I have an opportunity to get one from the USA to replace it this month so what is the best buy.

In the past I liked the aluminium ones as the heat distribution is better but people say that the new stainless steel ones with the composite base incorporating some aluminium do just as well.

So should I go for aluminium or composite stainless?

Is there much to choose between the different brands on offer?

Does anyone have a recommendation?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-19-2012

Woodvet is on a distinguished road
Re: Pressure cooker choice

I had a 4 quart very thin Stainless. I had it long enough to know how valuable an addition it was to the culinary devices in the galley or for that matter in any land lovers kitchen.
But I took it with me to a friends boat down in the Caribbean knowing how great it would be cooking lobsters. So light it went in my luggage but I thought this was a cheap and replaceable item so I gave it away. Sadly it is not and I have searched hard for another one with no luck.
Aluminum is Fluoride, it's in prozac, under arm anti-persperants, city water, pesticides, there's plenty in black tea and it just keeps going. I steer clear of it to reduce poisons in my system so I am no fan of aluminum cooking devices. Google the bizarre history of Fluoride (aluminum). It will let you in on some of the ailments it causes. I am still in a search for the compact/light stainless pressure cooker myself. If there is one, please advise...
Old 08-19-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodvet View Post
Aluminum is Fluoride, it's in prozac, under arm anti-persperants, city water, pesticides, there's plenty in black tea and it just keeps going. I steer clear of it to reduce poisons in my system so I am no fan of aluminum cooking devices. Google the bizarre history of Fluoride (aluminum). It will let you in on some of the ailments it causes. I am still in a search for the compact/light stainless pressure cooker myself. If there is one, please advise...

Ummm.... no it's not. It's in the Boron group. Fluoride is a halogen.
The Aluminum Group of Elements

Also you won't find much in the way of rigerous science that will provide evidence that aluminum causes any diseases especially Altzheimers. That was strongly debunked years ago and has about as much "evidence" to support it as the autism/vaccine stuff out there on the web.

Unfortunately when it comes to things medical Google is NOT your friend. Wikipedia is worse still. For those that don't have access to the peer-reviewed literature "Google Scholar" is a place to start. Or if you're content to only read abstracts, anyone can search the vast NIH database (pubmed) and read the abstracts for free. THIS is where medical professionals get their information from.
Link to NIH searching here:Home - PubMed - NCBI

Sorry for the thread drift, but I felt compelled to put in the point of order.

MedSailor
Flybyknight likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-19-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

I was going to say somthing before but sounded hippy so I didn't bother.
That being said I don't like aluminum pans.
I like this kind Cooker this type in stainless with a strong yoke across the top are the ones I like

Make sure it fits your stove....

If your going to can try and get one that will fit 4 mason jars at a time which will handle a couple of Lobsters as well
Old 08-19-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

We've been pretty happy with our Fagor 6-L. This website has some tips: hip pressure cooking - pressure cooker recipes & tips!: shopping tips

The author, Laura, is extremely responsive if you have further questions. She recently ran a Facebook group for a group of us sailors learning to use the pressure cooker so she "gets" the special requirements of our liveaboard lifestyle.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-19-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Ikea has a nice looking little SS pressure cooker that I've been thinking of buying.

Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 08-20-2012

TheVeggieQueen is on a distinguished road

I also saw the little pressure cooker listed for Ikea but haven't seen it in person so I am not sure of its quality.

If I were going to get just one small pressure cooker, I would probably get a 4 quart Fagor Duo or Futuro, both of which are stainless steel. Not light but will work well for a long time.

I have been teaching people to pressure cook for more than 16 years. If you ever have any pressure cooking questions, please feel free to ask. It's been my specialty for a long time.

I wish that land lovers were as into pressure cooking as you are.

If you get the Ikea pressure cooker, I'd love to hear more about it. Looks like a jiggle-top to me and I prefer the spring valve type.
Old 08-20-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

i bought a nice lil 6 qt presto about 10 yrs ago and i still have it--is still in new looking condition. is aluminum.
i have been using pressure cookers to cook foods since i was 7 yrs old. momma made sure we all knew how to cook well before age 10. we were landlubbers.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

Old 08-20-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Veggie Queen (or anyone else) ,
We are but two so I'm thinking that the average sized PC is simply to big for our needs. Thinking of one of these ....

or

Kuhn Rikon. 4 or 5 litre. 22cm base diameter.

Thoughts ?

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-20-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

I bought a slightly smaller pressure cooker, it gets used a lot more then our huge Fagor.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.