Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012
Otter

DivingOtter is on a distinguished road
Re: propeller not turning

That is assuming you didnt strike any object which would have been my first guess. If you did there will be noticable damage to the flukes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2012

wduncan50 is on a distinguished road

Are you sure the shaft is turning at the prop? Check your coupling connection.

With our old boat (1981 39' Gulfstar) my wife and I were praticing pulling out of and back into our slip. Renee was mid ship with a dock line ready to loop over a dock cleat as I was pulling into the slip. With a strong cross wind I was coming in a bit fast and when I threw the boat into reverse and throttled up nothing happen. I gave it more throttle in fact nearly all of it, but the boat didn't slow down.

Luckly my wife had hooked the dock cleat and some way or another got us stopped before we came to the end of the slip and crashed into the dock. She's my hero.

Anyway everyone there figured I had lost my prop and the water in the marine was too cloudly to see, so I left thinking I would dive the boat the next weekend and check. Driving home I thought about my coupling and went back the next day and sure enough the bolts had backed out. When I threw the boat into reverse the prop pulling backward caused the coupling to seperate. I bought 4 SS bolts and locktite instead of a new prop.
Old 08-20-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Wduncan makes a good point, and loose setscrews on the coupler is a more likely scenario than a broken key on the prop. There is no way a correctly sized key on a correctly installed prop is going to break. If the prop is loose enough to spin on the shaft I would think it would make a helluva lot of noise, particularly if there was the remains of a broken key and the resulting carnage to the shaft and hub keyways.
Hull#101
Old 08-20-2012

verestsailnet is on a distinguished road

"Driving home I thought about my coupling and went back the next day and sure enough the bolts had backed out. "

Sounds resonable, could you please expand and describe location of the coupling. The shaft is turining, but I can only see it turn inside the lazarette.

Thank you kindly,
Old 08-20-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

If the key used beneath the prop was not made from a good quality stainless steel it would rust and eventually fail.
I have seen this happen on my rudder stem head fitting.

I like the disconnected coupling idea too. Check to see if the shaft is spinning at the stuffing box.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wduncan50 View Post
Are you sure the shaft is turning at the prop? Check your coupling connection.

With our old boat (1981 39' Gulfstar) my wife and I were praticing pulling out of and back into our slip. Renee was mid ship with a dock line ready to loop over a dock cleat as I was pulling into the slip. With a strong cross wind I was coming in a bit fast and when I threw the boat into reverse and throttled up nothing happen. I gave it more throttle in fact nearly all of it, but the boat didn't slow down.

Luckly my wife had hooked the dock cleat and some way or another got us stopped before we came to the end of the slip and crashed into the dock. She's my hero.

Anyway everyone there figured I had lost my prop and the water in the marine was too cloudly to see, so I left thinking I would dive the boat the next weekend and check. Driving home I thought about my coupling and went back the next day and sure enough the bolts had backed out. When I threw the boat into reverse the prop pulling backward caused the coupling to seperate. I bought 4 SS bolts and locktite instead of a new prop.
There should be a little hole drilled through the top of each set screw. The reason that the hole is there is so that you can run some siezing wire through the screws, and prevent them from backing out. Locktite is not sufficient for this job.
msmith10 likes this.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 08-20-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by verestsailnet View Post
"Driving home I thought about my coupling and went back the next day and sure enough the bolts had backed out. "

Sounds resonable, could you please expand and describe location of the coupling. The shaft is turining, but I can only see it turn inside the lazarette.

Thank you kindly,
In the hope that this helps you, here is a pic of my propeller shaft, and coupling.

To the left is the transmission, and to the right is the PSS Shaft seal (that I installed in the spring). If you look closely at the coupling you can see that I had not yet run siezing wire through the hole in the set screws. You can also see the end of the woodruff key sticking out of the coupling along the shaft.

I actually ran the engine for about 15 min without the siezing wire, and the screws backed out! Fortunately, I found the set screws, and the coupling remained mated to the prop shaft by the brass woodruff key. There is another brass woodruff key connecting the prop to the shaft.

BTW the key is brass so that it can shear if the propeller stops. In theory, the keys should protect the shaft, and the prop, and the transmission, from damage.
Old 08-20-2012

thank you all, i have a diver coming in tomorow 8AM to determine the problem. fortunately he is a honarable person. that is clear. He will charging me to determine the problem and if posible fix it. And if he fixes it, I have a tropper for all of us in the bay. We will know tomrow by 10:00 AM.
Old 08-21-2012

Problem solved. The key broke due to excessive torque at the propeller. A rope or something caught at the propeller. He also suggested that the propeller may be oversize for the boat. will look into this area and determine if the propeller should be changed with a smaller one.

The key is shaped like a "T". The horizontal part of the "T" fits along the shaft and the Vertical part fits along the propeller. Torque from the engine/transmission transfers from the shaft through the key and onto the propeller. The key is about two inches long and I look to me to be made out of "bronze" as opposed to SS. The propeller is also bronze. I surely will like a stronger material in new propeller made out of SS.
Old 08-21-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Well, I stand corrected! My propeller has a convensional stainless key that is buried between the shaft and the hub. I assume if something fouls my prop it will just stall the engine!
Hull#101