SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Vinyl sanitation hose: How to get it over tight fittings (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/91174-vinyl-sanitation-hose-how-get-over-tight-fittings.html)

brucemoody 08-20-2012 08:02 PM

Vinyl sanitation hose: How to get it over tight fittings

We are having a grand time installing new vinyl sanitation hose. It's 1 1/2 ID, and never goes gently over the barbed fittings. I bought a heat gun the soften up the hose, but I'm not sure how much heat to apply, what's enough, what's too much, or if there's a better approach. Any suggestions?

This is part of our saga of finding a leak on one of the hoses, then another, then learning that the wrong hose was used by the previous... All the hoses from toilet to tank to pump out are being replaced, along with the fittings. I can't complain. We're learning lots about out boat and its systems.

Bradhamlet 08-20-2012 08:07 PM

Re: Vinyl sanitation hose: How to get it over tight fittings

When I redid mine I used hot water in a bucket, just cool enough to not burn me buy hot enough to make the hose plyable. Then you get some dish soap and it should go well from there.
Brad
Lancer 36

jrd22 08-20-2012 08:15 PM

Don't get the heat gun too close so you burn the hose. Heat it until it's pliable and slips onto the fittings. After a couple of times you'll get the hang of it, it's easy.

bvander66 08-20-2012 08:21 PM

Leave the hose in the sun for a while, helps bending it around corners.
Heat the end, can use a hair dryer, but as mentioned above a bucket of hot water is better.
Just before easing it over the barbs wipe it with dishwashing detergent, do not use any petroleum based lubricant, can damage the odor shield liner.

CalebD 08-20-2012 09:20 PM

Second the use of boiling or hot water and dish soap.

sww914 08-20-2012 10:07 PM

Boiling water worked for me, too. It didn't make it easy, it just made it possible.

Lake Superior Sailor 08-20-2012 10:25 PM

Hot water is good , But gojo hand cleaner really works!..Dale

PaulinVictoria 08-20-2012 10:56 PM

Hot water and KY jelly. Then you can use it on the pipe fittings afterwards too.

Jgbrown 08-21-2012 12:21 AM

heat gun to warm it a bit, light squirt of silicone lube or a smear of 4200 if it really needs to stay stuck after.

MedSailor 08-21-2012 01:18 AM

Yup boiling water. No soap as you want to still be able to grip it. I failed the first time I used hot water, but that was just because I didn't let it sit in the hot water long enough.
Very hot (nearly boiling) and several minutes of soakage and you should be fine. Wea gloves though so you can grip the hot hose.

By the way, you DID buy the $10+/foot odorsafe(TM) sanitation hose right???? NOT the $3/foot white "sanitation hose". The cheap stuff does NOT contain odor and it will quickly make your boat have head-funk. Spend the coin on the good hose, trust me on this one.

MedSailor