SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bottom/Top Painting-What Comes 1st?

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  JoeLena 
#1 ·
I am now ready to paint my entire boat. All my prepwork is done. I will be using Interlux Brightsides for topside and West Marine Cpp plus for bottom. I want to know what should I do 1st. Do I paint the bottom 1st and then apply topside paint to delineate my waterline. Or can I apply topside paint past waterline and apply bottom paint on the way up? The reason I ask is I have an older fiberglass hull and the previous paint job was so worn I have no accurate reference where the waterline should go. Since my boat is trailerable, my logic was to paint hull with estimated waterline and then add bottom paint at the at the marina on my trailer to bring line closer to real waterline. I'm spraying the topsides, rolling the bottom. I figure spraying at the marina is not an option, but rolling is for sure. Quite a drive from home to the coast. As always, any help is appreciated. Bruce

#6 ·
The boot stipe is the line that is between the bottom paint and the topside (side of boat) paint. The cove stripe is the line that is at the top of the topsides, near the deck. Not sure if the guy in the picture has a cove stripe or not. Note that the boot stripe would be flat as seen from the side if the boat was not heeled. Also note that to make it look right the stripe gets wider as it goes under the stern. I think some people use a laser sight to get the thing right (after finding the water line).

Attachments

#8 ·
Ok, thanks for all the great input guys.

Another question: What type of paint for the boot stripe since it will be getting wet often? I've seen pints of topside paints that would seem to be the perfect amount for a stripe of a contrasting color.

#10 ·
Ok, thanks for all the great input guys.

Another question: What type of paint for the boot stripe since it will be getting wet often? I've seen pints of topside paints that would seem to be the perfect amount for a stripe of a contrasting color.
Topside paint for the boot. If you look at places like Jamestown they sell small cans for the boot stripe. I've read elsewhere that tape is often used, as stated above. There are a lot of color choices for tape, but it would be nice to hear from others who have used the tape.

#9 ·
Wet often is ok with topside paint. Under water is not. I strongly recomend you prime bottom with interlux 2000e if it is clean to bare plastic. It will make your job last much longer for the cost. Bottom paint discolors when left to the air. I have used vinyl for boot stripe on smaller boats. it holds up well but over topside paint only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.