Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012

sstuller is on a distinguished road
When does the fun start?

Looking at the forums it is obvious that the gear & maintenance forums have far more viewers than any other forum. It is a safe assumption that most boat owners spend far more time on maintenance than sailing.
What's wrong with this picture? What is causing all these maintenance problems that steal time from actually using your boat?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: When does the fun start?

Some people buy a boat to use, some for a project, and some to brag. All three need maintenance, so we all have that in common. So for the braggers, the fun starts right away. The workers get their fun on the weekends, and the rest of us have fun when the boat is done. AAAHHHH HA Ha ha! The boat? Done? Done? Not at my pace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2012

Patient is on a distinguished road

I think it is just part of the package.

When you think about it, you are taking a buoyant fiberglass container, with electronics, fabrics, an engine and several crucial parts that endure eye opening amounts of physical stress into a harsh salt water environment. Doesnt take long for something to break.

Some people choose to plan for that eventuality beforehand with extensive refits and others deal with it as it comes. Two different philosophies, same outcome, stuff breaks.

Heck, the last charter I skippered on a "new" production boat, I spent half the time fixing things that broke along the way. VHF, GPS antenna, packing gland, rigging, windlass, steering, etc etc. Yeah, when you are fixing someone elses "new" boat it really hits you just how corrosive that environment is on man made contraptions despite preparation.

A cold carib in your hand at the end of the day watching a Caribbean sunset melts it all away though, doesnt it?
sawingknots and jameswilson29 like this.

Last edited by Patient; 08-23-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Not so much maintenance problems as it is maintaining to avoid problems. Yes, we spend an inordinate time on maintenance and have fewer problems as a result. We anticipate no problems on our sail up the South China Sea next week , but do expect Murphy to show up as it wouldn't be fun without old Murphy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-23-2012

fryewe is on a distinguished road

The fact that there are more viewers on gear and maintenance than sailing threads doesn't mean that more folks are fixing than sailing.

Viewers of gear and maintenance threads are trying to save money and LEARN about their systems. SN users already know everything about sailing.
johnnyquest37 likes this.
Old 08-23-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Gear and maintenance is part of the fun.
sawingknots and CarbonSink62 like this.

Last edited by scratchee; 08-23-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

For me, it's a combination of factors.

Like our road-bound gearhead compatriots, there's satisfaction to be found in tweaking and fiddling around to make things better -- whether that be in appearance, performance, ergonomics, quality of life, functionality, etc. At times, these different categories work against each other so the challenge can be in achieving balance.

Like others mentioned, it's also a struggle against the laws of physics. Stuff breaks, stuff deteriorates, Mother Nature demands her due. If you've got deep pockets, you can hire folks to take care of all that for you; for the majority though, that's not a realistic option.

I'm also a hands-on kind of guy. I enjoy problem solving and working with my hands. Some may call this an affliction; I prefer to call it an attribute. An impartial jury would likely call it a little of both.
asdf38 likes this.

Last edited by PorFin; 08-23-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-23-2012

johnnyquest37 is on a distinguished road

I'll echo fryewe. During the sailing season, our typical schedule is to have a destination cruise each weekend and do Wednesday night racing. One Saturday a month is dedicated to maintenance with a daysail the following Sunday. We don't sail one weekend every six to eight weeks (weather, family obligations, etc.). Off season, one weekend a month is dedicated to maintenance.

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT REMOVING POLITCAL TAG LINES -- NOW!
Old 08-23-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I think sailors are way more hands on with their gear than most other sports. Let's face it, in our sport, if something breaks its usually "out there," when it breaks (thanks Captn Ron)... If you have no clue how it works, you can't figure a proper fix, and what if it's vital to the operation of the boat, will you know if it is?

So yeah, we all frequent the gear section. Jury Rig is a sailing term too you know:
All respect to WIKI, a Jury Rig, is a make shift solution to a busted mast (replacement or repair).

Sailors are race car drivers that fix their OWN cars because there are NO fans nearby or pit crew, and it could be days before a mechanic can show up, and he rarely has any tools/spare parts when he does. Waiting for the mechanic/help/repair could easily cause expensive damage, or lose the boat, or worse.

For this reason I think you find most sailors carry A) spare parts for important systems (within reason) B) take at least a passing interest in how to fix things that break, or how to maintain things so they don't C) have a better understanding of how their boats operate.

No I am not picking on motor-boaters (because I think they have a bit of this as well), just trying to give reason to your statement.
Old 08-23-2012

CarolynShearlock is on a distinguished road

No, I don't spend more time on maintenance and repair than sailing . . . but I spend more time LEARNING about maintenance and repair than learning about sailing, cruising, living aboard and so on. Not to say I don't read about those, too . . . but I often come here looking for an answer to a specific problem!
Cal28 likes this.