SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   tinkering with cabinetry and tabbing (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/91356-tinkering-cabinetry-tabbing.html)

flo617 08-25-2012 11:35 PM

tinkering with cabinetry and tabbing

3 Attachment(s)
OK,

Today I removed a panel behind the stove and opened an area that might have been hidden from sight for maybe 45 years.

This is what I found: the bulkhead of it aft (right side on the last picture) is not tabbed on that side, only on the other side (the tabbing on the other side can be seen on the picture).

Also the curved part forward which could be considered a potential bulkhead is not tabbed to the hull at all. There is about 1"3/4 between it and the hull. Any good reason not to tab both these pieces (bulkhead aft and this "potential" bulkhead) to the hull?

I also found an old spiderweb but I have an idea of what to do with it...

On another subject, what are those red strands inside the layup?

Thanks for your input
Florent

CarbonSink62 08-27-2012 11:37 AM

Re: tinkering with cabinetry and tabbing

I would trust the builder; if it is only tabbed on one side, that's likely enough. Is that tabbing starting to fail?

That other bulkhead is probably not tabbed because it is not structural; you might tab it into place this year and find you need to remove it next year (the Klammer/Franchen guide block adjustment fitting might be behind there). I'd leave it alone.

The red strands are probably the same as tracers in a halyard or sheet but in the FG mat material. Red probably means xx thickness, blue might mean yy thickness. That's just a guess.

PorFin 08-27-2012 11:56 AM

Flo,

I'm with Carbon on this one -- probably not necessary unless the original tabbing is failing. Since it's survived 40 years without issue, it's likely survive fine just as it is.

flo617 08-28-2012 12:54 AM

OK, thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate :).

I agree with the forty years and I had this in mind too but I don't know how much the boat was really used in the last forty years (i know it saw about zero use in the last 3 prior to me acquiring it).

And after a year using it here in SF there are definitely some part of the headliner that are deteriorating (stress cracks, some there before but seems like they are extending). Although not in the same place this sort of made me reconsider the veracity of this hypothesis.

I'm also considering some cruising in the future and I had read that strengthening the hull is a worthy endeavor. It's also prime real estate I found there, especially on a 8' wide boat and I was considering sealing the sides to store stuff in this place